We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
331 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

The more time we spend on the island, the more we fall in love with it! I don't understand when people ask, "Is there enough to do? Will I be bored?" Each day brings us something new to explore. Even when we return to the same places, we manage to see things we missed the first time.

And the weather..... perfect! And thanks for joining us on our travels!

Here is the link to my latest blog.....

…blogspot.com/2013/…kauai-2013-day-16-17.html

P.S. I just noticed that I got out of numerical order and skipped day 13. So, I did two entries for day 16. (Not that anyone would notice.)

chicago
Level Contributor
232 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

The photos of your boys jumping from the pier are priceless! Great pics!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

You will have made some great memories for your self especially with your son going off to train with the Navy. You have given us some really good ideas for when we are there since we only have a short stay of four days. We will definately have to pick and choose what we want to do most. We are based in Maui for three weeks taking this short trip to Kauai to see if we would like to take our vacation in Kauai next year. After looking at your pictures and reading your blog it makes our decision a lot easier. Our heart has always been in Maui but just reading your posts this places an extremely close second and maybe our next love.

Hawaii is truly a piece of paradise. We used to go to the carribean and Mexico but once we went to Hawaii we haven't been anywhere else. Hawaii truly captures your heart.

I will be waiting for your next post.

Alberta Travelbug

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Another great couple days of blogs! I believe that was a small fuzzy albatross- (maybe!). a few years ago when my husband and I golfed the Makai we ran into a bigger one walking around. They are very strange looking.

I agree that there is so much to do and I can't understand people who get bored. There is still so much we want to do but we probably won't get back to Kauai until 2015. Maui won out next year. We also love Hanalei. So big you can spread out and awesome for swimming and relaxing.

Thanks for continuing to share!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Anini is one of our favorite beaches, too. So much so that we went there even though we didn't find good snorkeling the first 3 or 4 times. Finally we discovered some decent snorkeling there. Not far from where you were set up, but to the right (looking out to the water) and out quite a ways to the dark area. Where it gets really shallow again there are/were quite a few fish---mostly juveniles, but they tend to school together. That reef extends quite a distance, but that seems to be the area closest to the shore.

For some fun people watching, you should eat at Olympic Cafe in Kapaa at the tables overlooking the highway.

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

My kids and I stayed at Napili Bay (vrbo condo) and snorkeled Honokeana Cove several times. Some of the turtles there are huge!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

You got a picture of a baby shearwater. We really like Anini especially down at the end where there tends to be more shade. You didn't know that Ranch dressing is the "official dressing" of Kauai? Seriously, thanks for sharing you family vacation with us.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Thanks Shanty! I wasn't totally sure, but thought since it was fuzzy.. didn't look strange enough though :)

California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Again, thank you. Checking your pictures every morning is the highlight of my coffee drinking time. What I love about your pictures is how it captures the adventure you can experience on Kauai. Simple things like pullups on a tree. You don't always need to be ziplining, atving etc. The simple things like jumping off the pier, finding a tree to play on, all captures the true beauty of the island. My bookmark tab is getting a workout. I hope one of the DE's posts these under photos.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

I put your blog in my Favorite Places to check wihen we are next in Kauai. Love your photos and reporting. You made wonderful memories.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Blog - Day 16 & 17

Enjoyed the blog - as always! I loved your descriptors...sand soft as butter...

Good luck to Michael at OSU!