We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
336 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

We finally decided to take a vacation in October before I go back to work from Maternity leave. And Kauai sounds like a perfect place for us.

We are planning a trip around 10/10 for 6-7 days. It will be me, my husband, our 3 months old son, and my husband's parents.

Does anyone know a good property, preferably a Condo/Cottage/House, for a family with an infant? Depends on the price (less than $250/night for 2 rooms), hotel is ok too...

We need strong WiFi internet for my husband's work while we are there (...what a shame that he has to work during a vacation...) as well as parking. And washer/dryer will be nice since we have a little with us.

I was told mid-October is the starting of winter, so it is better to stay in south. We are thinking of Poipu but if there is any other recommendation of the area, please let me know as well!!

This is the first trip to Hawaii for my husband, his parents and of course our little one, so I want to leave a good impression :) They have been to Cancun/Tulum, Bora Bora etc so hard to impress them with beach destinations...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

I would check out Nihi Kai in Poipu. We've stayed there several times with my family (2 children ages 11 and 14). We were there in June in a large, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with washer/dryer, great Wi-Fi (my husband also has to work while we go to Kauai), great ocean views for about $200/night (before taxes). The complex is also close to Poipu Beach.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/…

California
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

Before I was cut off, I was also going to recommend Nihi Kai as well as Poipu Kapili. You might also check to see if any two bedrooms are available at Kiahuna Plantation. Here's one you can rent from the owner; I'd be surprised if it was available, but you never know. www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

I wouldn't write off the north shore. October can still be quite nice on the north shore. Winter in October? The rains and really high surf doesn't kick in until after October, in my experience of being there many, many times. It can be downright hot in October, island-wide.

Given your in-laws previous beach travel experiences and your desire for them to have a good impression I'd recommend you consider a house on Hanalei Bay. Maybe Anini Beach but I don't find it quite as nice as Hanalei Beach waters. You'd have a great beach and a great town to walk to for dining. More on par with their Bora Bora experiences.

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

The $250 a night might be hard to find in Hanalei or Anini.

I go often to the North Shore of Kauai in October and it is really beautiful and the weather good, but the surf does get rough the further north you go and Haena gets windy so I don't recommend that area with a baby.

I usually feel that with a multigenerational group, sometimes Poipu is better. Often the North Shore can feel more isolated but I wouldn't write it off if this area appeals to you. You might want to check out the top question "which side of the island to stay on" to get a better feel. Desertbeachlover has a really good comparison in a thread recently reposted.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

The South Shore is nice, but the North Shore is where we always return because of it's diversity. When we travel, we like to get away from city beach areas (like Newport & HB) and see a different coastline. It's less populated, but there are still many things to do and see. Plus Kauai is not that large so if you do want to see another area, a day trip is easy. I agree with Napa on the weather - October is usually good, just like here at home. The one negative I would bring up is that the larger medical facilities are located in the south, but if your little one is healthy, it's a non-issue. Whatever you choose, it will leave a good impression. Happy hunting, and congrats on the new edition!

6. Re: 4 adults + 3 months old... recommendation for place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:19