We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

My husband and I have been to Kauai 5 times (Poipu) and absolutely love it! We enjoy snorkeling, hitting the remote beaches (we like anything that's off-the-beaten-path) as well as moderate hiking. We've travelled the island from the south end to the north end and everything in between and always find something new to discover. We're not into large crowds or fancy dinners - we pack the cooler for the day and we're gone for most of it! We enjoy comfortable and clean accommodations and at least an ocean-view from our lanai. We feel we've been so spoiled by Kauai that nothing else will compare but we've heard great things about Maui and think we'd like to give it a try. For those of you that have been to both islands - please give me your feed-back. Would we be disappointed if we chose Maui considering all the things I mentioned previously? Any recommendations on where to stay would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,064 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

I think you should get Maui out of your system. :-) Then you can come back to Kaua`i with new eyes.

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Oh..... go to Maui. It is gorgeous (though more crowded), has terrific resorts right on the beach, drive the road to Hana and what I would do (and do every year) is take the ferry over to Lana'i, spend the night, rent a jeep and if you want remote, you will get remote.

As far as accommodations, you say you stay in Poipu. Do you want the same vibe? Then Kanapaali would fit the bill. I like Napili Bay or Kapalua but not in the winter. Wailea is dryer, more resorty and not by cup of tea, but there are gorgeous hotels there like 4Seasons. Kehei reminds me of Kapaa so I don't like it there, but I have a friend who loves the snorkeling right outside his Kehei condo. Do you stay in hotels or condos on Kauai?

Maui is a close second to my beloved Kauai, but I am always so glad to get back to my mountains and red dirt once I have been to the other islands. Who knows...you might find a new love. That's ok! There's enough love to go around for all the Hawaiian Islands.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
802 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

As usual, jebett is right on as far as the pros & cons of Maui. It is beautiful, no doubt, but Kauai just is a special place to us. Not trying to sway your decision, but staying on the North Shore might be enough of a change.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Go for it. You'll find all of that on Maui too. You might have to drive a little longer to get to it though. Maui isn't all as it's portrayed. There are still those out of the way places and you don't have to eat fancy. The whole gamut of food prices is there and you can still use your cooler. You WILL find that you'll have more opitons for less expensive places to stay right on a beach with water views or even waterfront. And if you're into snorkeling you'll find it better there. Pick up a good guidebook and study up on it well. It's not a good idea to land there and 'wing it'. Do your homework and you'll find you can have the same type of experience as on Kauai.

I tell everyone to give other islands and other parts of islands a try. Only then do you really know which island is for you. I know too many people who have been to one island and simply will not venture any other island. And then there are those who come to Kauai and will not venture from the south shore to the north shore (or vice versa) no matter what. Just will not do it. I don't get it.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 18:36
Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Thanks everyone for your input - you've all given me so many things to think about!!:):

pzp - you're probably right, we do need to give Maui a try and then we'll know!

jebett - thank-you for all your suggestions. I especially like your idea of taking the ferry over to Lana'i and spending the night. You asked where we typically stay and usually it's a condo...although we have stayed in a hotel but didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Where do you stay in Lana'i?

BKnox58, we did discuss staying in the north end of Kauai but have been concerned that the weather is typically cooler with more rainfall. We do enjoy the south shore mainly because it's sunnier but your suggestion is one we should seriously consider - thank-you for suggesting it.

Napaguy - you're so right when you say that people won't venture from one island to the next (we happen to be two of them...lol)! We should venture out and make a change...who knows....perhaps Maui will be our new and most favorite island!!

calif
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

My husband and I first came to Kauai about 7 yrs. ago. Why didn't we visit Kauai before? Because family told us there wasn't much to do in Kauai and that the other islands were more fun. So in ignorance, we went to Maui many times and visited the other islands as the years past. But since our first visit to Kauai, we loved it!! It was our kind of island. On the first visit, we happen to come after their state elections and the candidates and their families stood on street corners and waved their thank you signs. I've never seen that before!!

We love the laid back, slow pace of Kauai and now come every year for rest and relaxation.

Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

I couldn't agree with you more gummtree - Kauai is truly a magical place that we too, love very much! Considering that we wait all year for this two week vacation, it's important that we enjoy our time there. Since we've never been to Maui, it's a huge decision as to whether or not to forego Kauai and give Maui a chance.

Considering you have been going to Kauai these past seven years, it's safe to say that you enjoy the island much more than Maui. Can you give me your reasons why and where do you typically stay in Kaui?

Thank-you for your input!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

I've been lucky enough to visit the islands several times. I think it's important to visit the other islands. My very first trip was to Kauai and Maui. I loved Kauai and was not so much with Maui. Been back once to give it a second try and still not overly thrilled. Many people find Maui their favorite, but just not me. Branched out to the big island next and fell in love!! Been to oahu a couple times, went on may with just my DH and had a fabulous time exploring the island. So, the order of my faves is BI, Kauai a very close second, Oahu, and trailing is Maui. I will get to lanai and Molokai one of these days. :).

Anyway, long story short, definitely try something different.

calif
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Canadiangirl222

The reasons we love Kauai so much are: food is more of the island flavors such as all the different lunch plates, the slow pace because of the speed limit on Kauai, the beauty of this island isn't spoiled by so many new hotels and resorts springing up every year, and less people. We visited Maui many times and every time we went back, there were more hotels and resorts taking the best sites on the beaches and you couldn't get good island cooked food like you used to 10-15 yrs ago.

We stay (I know this isn't the favorite side of the island for most people) in Kapaa at the Lae Nani. There is a small beach in front of the condos with beautifully kept grounds and a small children's beach. There are a variety of restaurants, food trucks, and lunch plate places. Our favorite shave ice place is Blizzard near Big Save market.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai or Maui?? Please help....

Of the Hawaiian islands, Kaua'i is our first love too. Especially the north shore. But we took the plunge you're considering and spent 11 nights on Maui this past May. Had a great time, but there's something magical about Kaua'i that we didn't experience on Maui. I think it might have to do with the fact that to us, Maui felt more "familiar", almost like we'd been there before. And when we're flying thousands of miles to a Pacific island, we're looking more for exotic and culturally different than familiar.

"We enjoy snorkeling...remote beaches...off-the-beaten-path...not into large crowds..."

Honestly, to me that more describes the Big Island than it does Maui.