We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cane spider!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Cane spider!

A big buggah as in two inch leg span. In the bedroom on the closet door last night. I know have to tell Skip about it, as some of you may know, he is useless in a situation like this. Of course he's telling me to kill it....I want to either chase it outside or catch & release it. They're great insect control...and something this big has a personality! It only ran when I got very close...so I chased it into the living room and it went up the wall about 3 feet and stopped. I stuck a glass over it, slid a piece of paper between the wall & glass...Viola! Released outside to continue his life!

3Chihuahuas

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cane spider!

well done!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,895 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cane spider!

Wow. You found a small one. ;-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cane spider!

Small, slow, and vertically challenged one. ;-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cane spider!

You have a very refined technique. Iʻm a broom and slippah gal myself.

Broom to direct the critter (not so easy) and slippah to continue its life in cane spider afterlife.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cane spider!

Seems a fitting event to your vacation! Well done, BTW. DId you take pictures and send them home?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cane spider!

Flyswatter and/or Raid would have been last resort, but were ready to be used.

The camera battery was charging so no photos :(

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 03 September 2013, 03:36
T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cane spider!

3chis, I agree and try to never kill a spider. Predators play an important part in the web of life! Good catching technique with the glass and paper!

My Buddist-leaning husband will not even kill a fly. He catches them in his hand and releases them out the door. His catching skills are amazing. I call him the fly-whisperer! But as soon as I open that door, the fly promptly returns inside. I follow up with the swatter! I do give it a little blessing that you can borrow if you like KK. "I bless you on to your next and better life."

I prefer geckos to fill that predator niche in my Hawai'ian condo habitat, though. Hope your vacation is now spider free!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,895 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cane spider!

Killing spiders is bad luck. It makes it rain and really ticks off Spider Grandmother, who gave mankind weaving.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cane spider!

I have my SO bring the gigantic Frommer's Hawaii guidebook for these types of emergencies.

It came in handy last year when a monstrous looking centipede came slithering into our Kilauea rental. Obviously while that was going on I left the room and plugged my ears! Glad to have someone do the dirty work for me.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cane spider!

I live in the middle of former sugar cane lands, so if I swat one cane spider, it does not exactly create a vortex in the spider predator chain of being. I only swat them when they choose not to head for the exit during the high speed chase.

I do have a little thing that I say to them if I have to swat:

"Sorry, spider dude, hate to do this but you should have stayed out of my house."

As for centipedes, I have about as much sympathy for them as Marcellus had for Zed in Pulp Fiction. I may not "go medieval" but my instinct for eradication is pure and undiluted.

Thereʻs a reason for that. If one is in the house and it does not get caught, it WILL come visit you in your bed at some point. Which is unacceptable.