We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got our airfare for $45!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Topic
Just got our airfare for $45!

I've been researching for nearly nine months in order to get a good deal on our airfare. I mean, I have literally looked at hundreds of different options with flying into different places, but no matter what the tickets were still around $1,000/person. My husband kept telling me I just needed to get something because we're going in December and it's getting real close. I just couldn't give up though.

I finally figured out a way to transfer Marriott points to United miles and I was able to get one-way tickets there, so I was happy with saving half the cost. My husband travels all the time for work, so we didn't mind using the Marriott points. There was no way we could get tickets home though since it's right after Christmas and the cheapest award tickets they've ever had were for 40,000 miles each.

Well, I looked yesterday and two different flights opened up for the day I was wanting for 20,000 miles each! I figured out a way to downgrade our stay at the Marriott in Maui in order to have enough points to get the tickets! We're staying at timeshares in Kauai and Oahu so it wasn't too much of a sacrifice.

I just had to purchase 2,000 Marriott points to have enough to transfer to get the United Miles so all together our airfare cost $45! I can't believe it. I've never used frequent flyer miles before and didn't think they ever really worked. Plus, they are great flights. All the flights I was looking at purchasing were 14-15 hours travel time and ours are 10.5 hours both ways! Diligence definitely pays off since I just saved $2,000!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Very smart! Sounds like a great deal! Congratulations!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,610 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

woo hoo - way to go!! :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,612 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Sweet!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Way to go! Now you'll have lots of spending money for on-island.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Wow.......good for you! That's a tremendous savings and you are well on your way to money in the bank for the return trip. Very nice! Deb

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Thanks everyone! I'm still so excited!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Nice! Airfare for our family of 6 cost less than $100 for our trip that is three weeks away (THREE WEEKS!). I had enough United miles for my sister and her boyfriend and DH had enough for his and the boys' tickets. I then had enough US Airways miles to book on a United flight - but not the same one as my family on the outbound! Oh darn - I have to be up at 3 am but I don't have to spend 7 hours entertaining kids on a plane? Worth every mile redeemed...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Blueflamingo: That's crazy impressive! I honestly didn't think anyone was ever able to get flights using frequent flyer miles. It's stories like yours and others on this board that encouraged me to have my husband sign up for an account and researched how to make it happen.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Oh, you can spend hours on the "travel hacking" websites and blogs - flyertalk, Boarding Area, etc. (and I do). I'm currently planning a trip to Maui for next October (that's right, before we've even gone on this trip!) for two weeks using timeshares, Hilton points (Grand Wailea, baby!), and airline miles. Pretty much all we'll have to pay for is two nights in Hana, food and gas (but I'll use the "appropriate" card to pay for each of those to earn more miles to "spend" on our 2015 trip to Hawaii!).

While I wish there were easy ways to fly Hawaiian or Alaska from DEN, having a United hub here at least gives us lots of flight options. Often there is more FF seat availability DEN-HNL than into LIH, but as you've proven - never give up on getting the flights/dates/times you want!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got our airfare for $45!

Nice!