We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon

One lingering question (aside from when can we afford to go back?) remains from our recent Kauai trip.

We hiked the Canyon Trail, starting from the Puu Hinahina lookout between miles 13 and 14 on the road up to Koke'e State Park, to Waipoo Falls. We made a left turn when we got to the end of the ridge (where there's a cool natural-rock chair with a great view of the canyon) and began hearing water. We explored the smaller falls that we found first, then followed the stream for about 200 feet to the main falls (not a lot of water flowing, but spectacular nonetheless).

My question: The trail, I believe, is supposed to extend beyond there, further east (I'm guessing, as I didn't have a compass), but we couldn't figure out where that would have been.

If I've described the scene well enough for you, can you tell me where to go for a longer hike next time?

Oh, one more question: The trail from the lookout descends to a point where you are briefly parallel to a small moving body of water. On first inspection, it looks like a stream, but you can tell with a closer look that it emerges from a tunnel and enters another tunnel maybe 10 or 15 yards later. Until you get to the falls, it's your only encounter with water. There's a manmade dam on the other side of the stream from the trail. Does anyone know the story behind this canal, ditch, stream? I found no mention of it in the UKG.

Thanks, and aloha!

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon

My kids and I did that hike and also could not find the continuation of the trail from the falls.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon

It can be a challenge, and I may or may not have the right idea. I've done this trail out to the canyon rim several times and here's how I do it.

As you walk towards the top of Waipo'o along the trail parallel to the stream, there's a thicket of trees about mid-way. with a small sloped clearing on the other side. I simply cross the stream and start up that slope. The trail continuation does a few switchbacks there, so if you walk straight uphill and angle to the right as you do you'll hit the trail again.

Definitely worth the effort. My favorite picnic table is perched at the edge of the canyon rim at the end of the trail, the perfect place to relax before hiking back to the road.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 17:44
3. Re: Question about Canyon Trail in Waimea Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:19