We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rediculous start...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
rediculous start...

Months of planning goes into my trips (we're not itinerary people- just want to know the options where ever we are) and so this morning's chain of events is stumping even my husband who repeatedly tells everyone "I just show up and we have a fantastic trip"

In my defense, I believe I was distracted with the whole thing of dropping off my 14 week golden retriever puppy and 8 year old pup at a friend's house 30 min before we had to leave- made it home just in time (will I even recognize her in 10 days???) followed by a quick weight check of hubby's golf bag- which was 67# WHAT?!?! ( Apparently he packed a few extra clubs he wanted to try out- Are you kidding me??? I use his bag for bulky extras and it's usually under 40#!) There was not a heated moment- just a pulling out of the scale and showing him the facts and letting him take out and reweigh, and re-weigh and re-weigh....

so we're running late- but my brother-in-law is patient- thank gosh!!! and we make it to the airport with just a little cushion. Enough time for a bit of breakfast (we'd both forgotten to eat) and made it through the line at baggage check in and when asked for my ID- I did not have it- or anything else in my wallet because it was all back at the house, sitting on my dresser where I had put it after making a last minute run to the store to get laundry detergent while he was picking and choosing which clubs to take out. It is not his fault- it is mine- but this is the only explanation I have. Completely RIDICULOUS!!!! especially for someone so organized!

Long story getting shorter- we called my BIL to come back to get me, hubby went to the gate to see what he could do, BIL had a better idea- he came back to tell me he'd called my sis-in-law and she was on the way to our house. she found it after a frantic search- not where i thought it was (in the car but on the dresser in the back room!?) - and then she showed up right behind us about 40 min later at the airport drop off area. My BIL thought it best I just waited with him in the car- good idea- probably would have worn down the carpet pacing on my own at that point. Small talk never felt so good! Then I had an OJ moment sprinting through the airport (I'm that old) and of course it was the last gate at the furthest sections of the terminal- I was wheezing and went to the wrong desk where they had just closed the door- turned around when hubby called to me directing me to the one next over- we were the last ones on, but we were on time by 1 minute..... next time he gets to bring every darn club he wants :)

flight was early in, upgraded car for free, Dukes was fantastic- absolutely great view of beach with fish tacos and mahi-mahi sandwich to fill out tummies, costco run with opah, ahi, shrimp, mahi mahi, kahlua pork, berries, salad stuff, wine and beer- and later checked into the condo where we found out I got my request for the best suite- tips all from TripAdvisor recommendations. I did not know it was the best- but when I checked in the gal asked if I remembered how to get to it- "never been" "Oh well I assumed because it is the most requested one"- SCORE!!!!! It is perfect for us- mountain views, away from the road and overlooking a big green lush foresty-type thing- and we even got a couple of geckos finding their way on the lanai. So happy to be here! My emotional exhaustion from the morning has slipped away, and as usual, our rough moments typically bring us closer- and this was no different (so glad we made the flight though- that was really awful at the time!)

smiling! :)

Just going to explore the north shore a bit tomorrow, including farmers market (think we'll start with the opah and get goodies to go with it there)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rediculous start...

<<My emotional exhaustion from the morning has slipped away>>...the magic of Kauai. Have a wonderful trip - and pardon me for saying it, but it was fun reading about your epic departure!

Aloha!

Edited: 07 September 2013, 07:59
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rediculous start...

Oh my, that is always something that I dream about happening. I am so glad that it all worked out for you even though at the time I am sure it was pure terror.

I hope that the rest of your trip goes wonderful, but it will you are in Maui.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rediculous start...

So glad it worked out, that was a wicked stressful send off (I too, have had some rough starts/fiascos!) You have awesome family helpers! Now you can relax and enjoy!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rediculous start...

I am having heart palpitations just reading about your frantic departure.

Did I miss it...where are you staying? (penthouse, but which complex)

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rediculous start...

You have just had my worse nightmare along with forgetting I took a math class in high school and I find out I have a final that day.

I would be knee deep in mai tais by the time I got to Hawaii.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rediculous start...

Oh wow! What a start! But you are there and can get on Kauai time now. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rediculous start...

For others who have problems or worries about traveling.

I have made up a thorugh check list for both Erica and I for our personal travels, and we are pretty well totally packed and ready to go a few days before departure. We are also early for heading to the airport and plan it that way.

Also, months ahead we read up on where we are traveling, with guide books, and maps, as well as local knowledge from the travel forum and even people who we run into who know about our particualar destination. We pretty much know the things that we want to see and do, and will discover other adventure activites that we can add to our plan.

We follow the military axium.....propper planning prevents poor performance....and life goes along very well.

I understand that is not how many folks travel and their methods are their own, but we have no worries and no difficulties with things that we can control.....however, the non controllable events, like the airliner down for last minute maintenance problems, or logn security lines, or late arrival connecting flights, has made it close to missing our next flight, but we would look up the airport terminal diagram, and know what gate we were leaving from, and how far it was from the arrival gate and .which direction to go. Much of that info I have already typed out on my personal itinerary sheet.

Last trip to the caribbean, American held the plane at DFW for late arrivals for an hour plus. Upon landing, we were ready, and beat feet to make it just as they called the first boarding. No worries, we were just fine, but we were prepared as much as possible and knew exactly how to get to that next departure gate..

That itinerary was from Tortola, BVI, San Juan PR, Dallas FTW, LAX, to Lihue.

What was cool, is that at the new departure gate for our next flight on American, they announced that if you did not have overhead carry ons, we all could board immediately and get seated. That made for quicker boarding as the overhead bag passengers then came in behind us who were quickly strapped in and not blocking the isle.

And I dont know how they managed it, but our two small roller duffels made it on board. Must be magic.

Main thing for the OP, is that they made to Kauai, and were sipping on tropical toddys realxing at Dukes, and managed to acquire one heck of a neat accomodation. I like that !

Edited: 07 September 2013, 16:17
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rediculous start...

I always develop a bit of ocd when travelling. I can stare right at my wallet and my i.d. and still panic that I have left it somewhere. You can't ask for a better ending to a crazy morning, though. Enjoy!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: rediculous start...

I also have OCD and check about 100 times that I have my I'D, and still check on the way to the airport. Now I'm gonna have to check 101! Lol. Glad you made ok, and are having a wonderful time. :)

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rediculous start...

Wow... that is some start! But now the payoff!

Bless your sister and her husband... you need to get them something REALLY nice from Kauai to thank them for all they did to get you on that plane with a minute to spare :-)

Can't wait to hear more of you trip!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii