We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: yoga, beach, Kapa'a, beach/turtles and Kauai Ono 360

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
TR: yoga, beach, Kapa'a, beach/turtles and Kauai Ono 360

Another day began with a split. Hubby has been doing yoga at the gym for a few months (to help with flexibility for golf) and was interested in the Hanalei Yoga place we stumbled across the first day there. He was really impressed with the instructor and the fact that he got a lot of attention with only 2 attendees for just $15 for a full 2 hours. He really enjoyed this and felt he was able to perfect some of the moves incorrectly that he’s been doing with 40 other people in a gym back home, and will get a lot more out of those upcoming sessions as well- Lots of bang for the buck there!

After dropping him off, I went back to Hanalei beach and played in the water with a couple from Australia and a local gentleman with great conversation between the waves (really crashing in this morning!!!). After the body surfing attempts with them (a half hour or so later), I tested my core strength by standing up to the waves (the ocean won every time), then tried to see how many jump & twirls I could do with the waves, then just swam again for about another 30 min (WAY better than laps in our pool!!!)- I have forgotten how wonderful it is to swim in the ocean…. All in front of the lifeguard station- just back and forth- but I think the distance would have been across the bay if measured… It felt like that anyway 

Picked up hubby, went home and crashed for what may be my first morning nap of my life- the ocean won I guess… till we meet again!

The afternoon was up for grabs and in the end we decided to head East as we had not been that way yet, so at the last second he made a right turn towards Hanalei again (WHAT??? That’s the wrong way?!) for a bite to eat. (very hard not to be a side seat driver here…. Just saying!) Apparently they say don’t eat before yoga and he is a rule follower… I am the spontaneous one of the couple and he was seriously treading on my territory at this point! Glad to see he is embracing the “go with the flow” thing though. He headed for Bubba’s burgers but made a turn into Tropical Tacos before that instead (another “What?!” from me), and from the one bite I got- it was pretty good! Then we headed east for real, and ended up in Kapa’a for some strolling through the old town area first. I have some pay-backs to do (puppy sitter and sister/brother in law who saved the day bringing me my wallet to the airport) and wanted to get some bags and goodies for them. Not gonna lie as touristy as it is- the bag I got from the ABC store 6 years ago was wonderful- waterproof, big enough for my computer and very pretty so this stop was also for me (so I got 4 total- 2 for them, 2 for me!) and I will be filling them with good stuff moving forward. There was a great shop with soaps and lotions (got some of both), and another (Earth and Sea I think) with a beautiful butterfly wood inlay that I could not do without- and a small wood carving to put in my home somewhere- it says Lani (the sky/heaven). So now I am cut off- where did this shopping bug come from??? The first thing I said when getting back into the car was “let’s find something cheap to do!”

Anini it was! We are now seasoned enough to have all our stuff for a spontaneous beach jaunt, and YEAH for that! Snorkel gear in foot and mouth, suits on- ready in a flash! This beach was fantastic with all the shade and calm waters- but first impression of the snorkeling was “what’s this all about?” There was nothing- not a fish, not a coral thing, nothing but floating muck on the top. I was about to give up when suddenly there were about 50 little fish swarming me (startled me at first!) and then I saw the coral mound. So there is hope after all… and then a big turtle came right up to me from behind and submerged within three feet off of my left side- I held it together but it took everything I had! I have never been in the water swimming near a turtle and this one came to me!!!!! I know to stay back so I tried (with the current not helping) as much as possible. But, how do you smile without filling your mask??? I obviously don’t know- and thankfully he just sat at the bottom and ate for a long time so that gave me time to regroup, defog, and deliquidate the mask-but there was no de-smiling so this was an ongoing process. Hubby also came across another turtle (we were not that close to have been the same one) and spent some time around that one as well- fun afternoon and so glad we stopped!

We had reservations for Kauai Ono for our dinner splurge out so after a bit of a rest and cleaning up we made our way back into Hanalei. I love that we are so close to this area! We had been passing the tent all week, giving us a feeling of anticipation, but now it was fully set up with candles, place settings and jars for water and whatever else you wanted to bring to drink. I personally love the BYOB concept and took full advantage of that with a sauvignon blanc and a cab as I had no idea what we would be eating (we ended up only tapping into the white, but I like having options!)

Our dinner began with a mound of sauteed taro leaf topped with coconut cream, followed by corned beef on pea sprouts, a salad of mixed greens with citrus/ginger dressing and dragonfruit, Walv (fantastic white fish I have never heard of) with kale, roasted purple sweet potato (finally- and yum!) with calamansi ponzu (whatever that is…). Dinner was capped with a chocolate torte with flambé bananas. The whole thing was an event for the taste buds and the community dining was a great way to share each other’s adventures on the island. We even met up with a fellow TA follower which was fun. I can’t recommend this more highly and we both agreed was well worth the $50pp splurge.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: yoga, beach, Kapa'a, beach/turtles and Kauai Ono 360

I commend both of you for learning how to hang loose , go with the flow, so early in your trip. You're quick learners. I also commend you for thinking outside the box and each doing your own thing and not worrying about venturing off alone to the beach, etc. My wife was the same type of traveller and never understood the women who had to have their husbands with at all times to do the driving. Good for you! You'll both end up feeling more satisfied with your trip.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: yoga, beach, Kapa'a, beach/turtles and Kauai Ono 360

Sounds like a fun day for both of you. Anini will surprise you. Thanks for sharing.

3. Re: TR: yoga, beach, Kapa'a, beach/turtles and Kauai Ono 360

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20