We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Today is our moving day- south to Kalaheo, but not before one more attempt at snorkeling. Trip to Tunnels was a bust with all the warning signs still up and waves crashing in everywhere we looked- and not a soul in the water. When in doubt, stay out… so we did with disappointment- not gonna lie- there was a bit of lead in the gut for a little bit there, but I know we made the right decision. We got back into the bay in Hanalei for one last hurrah and had fun riding in the waves and I will say I did feel better that we were in there together while I did my morning laps as I know that is more safe to buddy with someone in the water

Hubby got the last of the morning fare (a burrito with Portuguese sausage) and I got the first of the lunch menu (sampler plate with a rib, and shredded pork, chicken and beef) all from Chicken in a Barrel after checking out of the condo. This was his choice of eatery as he did not want to mess with the mess after making breakfast at home (I cook, he cleans). The food was good on all counts (he really liked the sausage in fact) but my portion could have fed 3 hungry people, and did not come with any veggie sides (just rice and I think a bean chili) I would have liked a salad option . All was tasty, but I liked the rib the best and pork second. We both cracked up that there were chickens walking around a Chicken in a Barrel- daring little birds!

The waterfalls in the mountains around Hanalei we saw yesterday were down to 2 from 5 and much more faint, but there was still a sprinkle going on so I bet there will be more falling later today. We will miss them!

Trip south was uneventful, with stops at Costco for gas (and somehow our wine has all disappeared) and another stop at the Right Slice- I just had to get the sampler!!! Hubby was also with me and thankfully would not let us leave without another cheesecake slice. Weird- I never eat sweets and yet this was a must stop for me, AND he insisted on getting another slice of the cheesecake and paid for the whole thing (we pay separately for splurges and things like that)- makes me wonder “what is really in those pies???” Reminds me of the cocoa in the movie Chocolate! :) Strange place for a bakery also- right in the middle of an industrial park, but they seem to be doing well so I wish them the best of luck. And secretly I am thankful they don’t have a place in AZ… I have stopped growing upwards over 30 years ago so the only way to go is sideways and that is sure to happen with all this new-found sweet tooth here.

After settling into our new home (it has a beautiful avocado tree right outside the door with fruit the size of Nerf footballs!) we went to Hanapepe art night which we really enjoyed- especially the spice place and Banana Patch next door. This is a cool little town with some great local art, and a book store (one of our favorite browsing spots on vacation wherever we go)- but the wind flew out of our sail a bit with the 50 minute wait for the Huli huli chicken at Bobbies- it was good, but they should tell you it will be that long when ordering. We have stuff at home we could have driven back for and come back in less time than that wait…. Still enjoyed the night, but sheeze!!!.

Love the breezes here and the feel of being in a neighborhood instead of a resort. We are hoping for a good view at the canyon tomorrow- wish us luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hanapepe
Hanapepe
Kauai, HI
Waipo’o Falls
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Here is my wish for good luck with the weather for canyon viewing. Looking forward to another interesting report!

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

retrieverlvr, I just read through all of your reports and I must say, what a joy they are to read. I really want to be you right now! I just love your style.

We hope to do some of what you write about on our first Kauai trip in March. We will only have 5 nights before heading for Maui, and I know the weather and ocean will be iffy in March. But I consider it a scouting expedition for a longer summer trip in the future. Your TR is making me wish I could hop on a plane right now and be there for the next month or so! If only....

Thanks so much for taking the time to take us all along on your beautiful vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Ret, I do not have a sweet tooth either until I am on a holiday. :) Must be all this Island air for you.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

thanks for all the nice words everyone! It is sprinkling now at 5:30am but the weather report makes today our best bet, and there are plenty of stars out so I am still hopeful. Beautiful sunrise in the making!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Glad you enjoyed Art Night. Right Slice probably is in the Industrial park for the kitchen needs. They are sending all over the island to Farmer's makers and Lihue would be a central location also.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Welcome to Kalaheo!

<<I have stopped growing upwards over 30 years ago >> ... No kidding!...and yet the body still seems to want to grow....So, sadly Right Slice is both a blessing and a curse! I have to admit the "smapler" has got my curiousity up. FYI - there used to be a Filipino take-out place where RS is now...and it did very well. It was one we liked.

Looking forward to your next installment!

Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

Loved your report. We are hoping to get to the North side in our short 4 day stay in November.

We are also staying in a Bed and Breakfast in Kalaheo as we wanted the country feel instead of a resort.

Looking forward to your reports from the south side.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

I have just enjoyed all your reports so much and thank you for writing them. I have gone on a sensory trip back to Kauai and am just so happy to look forward to your south adventures now that you have moved on. You have a really enjoyable writing style. Deb

9. Re: TR: moving south, art night in Hanapepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18