We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

I wonder if anyone has advice. I am planning a last minute trip to Hawaii leaving mid October. I have the flights and the hotel in Oahu. Now looking at going to Kauai and was initially thinking of staying at Poipu, perhaps at the Waikomo Stream Villas or Outrigger Kahuma Plantation. After reading through the reviews, I realise that most of the condos at both places are individually owned and therefore some are good, some not, difficult to know which are the good condos. So perhaps a better idea is to split my 7 nights in Kauai and book for example 4 at Outrigger and the other three somewhere else. Any suggestions please on where would be a good place to stay. I would be looking for a room for three adults - 1 bedroom is fine - and trying to keep within a budget of $150 per night. I will be hiring a car for the seven days.

Also, as this is not high season (October) could I just book the first four days inn Poipu and just drive and find something wherever I end up for the last three nights? Or would it be better to get everything booked up before I leave.

If anyone has any views, I would be pleased to hear them.

Thanks

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
111 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

My advise would be to book through vrbo or flipkey so you can see the exact unit you will be getting. I wouldn't split your stay for that reason but more so because you want to mix it up. We stayed at KP for 3 nights and islander on the beach for 4. It was fun splitting it up for a change of scenery. I would do the longer stay at the second place because it makes the trip feel longer :) our rates at both places were under $150 and our units were great. If you do split your stay I would recommend staying in two different parts of the island (south, east or north)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

Kauai is not a Big Island. You could easily stay in one location and do a day trip or two......beats having to pack up, check out....wait to check in, with vulnerable belongings in the vehicle.

I am a Poipu Fan, however the North Shore can make a lovely visit in October.

DEFINITELY have all accommodations in place prior to travel. Hawaii is not a "book as you go" kinda place.

Not certain what avenues for booking you have been pursuing.....VRBO allows one to choose their specific unit. One 7 night stay might afford you a better rate and prevent you from having to pay 2 housekeeping fees....if you go with a condo. If you go through an agency rather than owner ,the Hskpg fee is often waived, but the rate might be higher.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai/s…

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

For only 7 nights, stay in one place.....Kaua‘i is small and easily drivable from one end to the other. And as Wander stated, Kaua‘i is certainly not a book as you go place...you MUST have reservations, there are few hotels in comparison to condos. Granted, it "may" be possible to walk in to a hotel for a room, but you'll be hit with the highest of rack rates. Also be aware most hotels charge a resort fee and some a fee for parking - do your homework before you book.

If you haven't booked a car, do it now. Discount Hawai‘i Car Rental.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 15 September 2013, 18:10
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

That cleaning fee is significant - you don't want to incur it at two places for such a short period! It can really hit the budget. Find an unit or two that you like on vrbo and bring them back to the forum to see what the pros and cons there may be to consider. Waikomo Streams, in general, is a very good choice.

Parrish also has Waikomo units - check their website and call to see what they might be able to do. They have great specials on right now - they look terrific!. Check the link. They can tell you about the individual units and again, you can check back here! We have regulars who stay there.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/…

Edited: 15 September 2013, 18:31
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

I would not split my stay with only 7 days. We will do this if we are on the island for 2+ weeks. My husband is at Waikomo Streams this week staying in a unit managed my Parrish. If you look at their website (and pictures), they rank the units by the interiors and how recently they have been upgraded. Look for "Premier" or "Premier Plus" at WSV. There is one unit that is now "Premier Plus" at WSV and the entire unit has been fully upgraded. Parrish is also running a lot of specials at WSV since the pool is currently being renovated.

I would also consider Nihi Kai Villas, also through Parrish. This complex is fast becoming our favorite complex in Poipu. They have a newly remodeled heated pool that is ocean front. Great location and views.

There is currently no pool available at Kiahuna Plantation Condos but it does sit on a great beach:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k68431…

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

We are planning our first visit to Kauai and I looked at A LOT of condos, vrbo and through various agencies and owners. I ended up booking through Parrish Kauai and we have had wonderful service so far. I feel confident based on what I read on this forum and my conversations with Parrish that we can trust them. I was concerned that the prices they listed seemed higher for some units that I had seen listed elsewhere, but decided to book with them anyway for the security. It turns out they charged us less than their listed price for our condo, and less than it was advertised on vrbo. Win win!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

Up to you on whether you want to move around. Sounds like your concern is not knowing the quality of the unit you might end up in. There are ways around that. You can book via a company that lets you pick the exact unit you want. Outrigger won't do that at Kiahuna. If this is a concern, and it sounds like it is, you could split it by staying some of the days in a resort hotel. Each room is the same, no surprises there. But the main benefit is shaking up your trip a little and experiencing both a privately owned condo and a resort hotel. Many people do this.

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

Your biggest issue will be staying within budget if you choose Kapaa. Sure pictures help to see if the condo is to your taste, but buyer beware. Some of those pictures might be old....Check recent reviews too. Google the name of the condo you are looking at and see if comes up on any other sights like Flipkey, Yelp etc. Only read reviews from a year and no further back as the condo might have been sold, remodeled etc.

Again finding something nice for $150 will limit your choices, but Waikoma Stream might fit the profile. No views to speak of.

O would not really consider October Off season.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,053 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

I'd stay in one place for this trip, since you are coming from so far, and spending time in Oahu it will be less packing and unpacking.

As everyone said, Kauai is small, and it's easy to drive around on days you want to explore.

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in one place on Kauai or move around

Thank you everybody for all the helpful suggestions. We have decided to stay at one place for the seven days, in fact around the Poipu area rather than move around. I had never heard of vrbo and have just been on that site and have found something. Thanks also for the pointer towards Discount Hawai'i Car Rental, will get onto that.

Looking forward to Hawaii.