We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Today we leave- and I am in denial- and I am not going to think about that any longer. Awoke again at 5:30ish and the stars were out everywhere. I wish I knew better than to just look for the big and little dippers and Orion but that research will have to wait for another trip. The sunset was a bit less spectacular than yesterday but I am glad not to have missed it- the golden ball rising from the east cannot be anything less than spectacular with clouds to light up and the mountains and ocean to shine upon.

Early tee time for hubby at the Poipu Bay Golf Club. The grounds look immaculate, beautifully manicured and hilly with white contrasting sand and I look forward to hearing about the day. Again he does not have a camera- but probably does not want the distraction of that anyway- too bad… I’d like to have seen it the views. Maybe another trip.

Since I was there I ventured down to Shipwreck and was entertained by the slideboarders- sliding into the ocean at the edge and catching the crashing wave usually tumbling (which has gotta hurt!) but sometimes doing a full circle into the air and landing with a glide back onto shore. That’s not something you see in the desert! There were also a number of people atop the jumping off point- not jumping in like I know they do sometimes, but I could picture it and honestly that just seems nutty, and that has nothing to do with my fear of heights. Well maybe a bit- but nutty nonetheless! There were also a couple of men with spears looking into the rocks at the edge of the ocean and I was dying to see them catch something but they didn’t. What an interesting beach scene!

My next venture was a trek to Maha’ulepu beach by road and I will say this reminded me very much of the roads in Tanzania- just without the mounds of dirt piled up in the middle. Trailblazers directions warned about potholes after the paved road- but I would say these are most definitely not just potholes! They are bigish, pointy lava rocks poking up all over the place and the holes around them could fit multiple pots in them at a time! I made it and out, but won’t deny that it occurred to me while driving that I never even checked to see if I had a spare tire in the car- or a jack for that matter. Note to self while inspecting a rental to do this in the future!

The beach is beautiful, right in front of me in hues of blue and green, crashing in over and over- and this is where I am typing. For the time being it is my private beach to reflect, savor and smile. I can’t believe now one else is here but me and the birds.

That moment lasted for nearly 90 blissful minutes. I thought about walking or hiking but just didn't feel like working at anything with all that relaxing blood flowing at the moment so I just headed home … PS -the car survived the way out also.

I picked up hubby who was pleased with a 94 (10 shots over his norm but he was happy with that considering the wind). Sounded like a beautiful course with several holes on the back nine overlooking the ocean and he enjoyed the fact that the PGA tour plays there. I liked taking the picture of Phil holding the cup in the wall of fame as he’s an ASU alum along with the both of us!

We both then headed back down to shipwreck beach and this time went into the water and had a blast! He got the boogie board again and I just played in the waves. Instead of standing and doing the jump and twirl technique as in Hanalei Bay, this was a treading and twirling water deal- much more work !!! People were fishing off the giant rock at the end (how is that possible? It is at least a hundred feet up there!?!

Poipu beach was next and fantastic as well- lots of snorkelers. It looked like that would have been a good spot to do that, but we no longer had our gear and didn’t want to re-rent for such a short period of time. But this beach was pretty, and had nice waves in areas you could also swim and board in- I mostly just floated in the waves wishing this was not my last day. A highlight happened in the middle of all the floating and wandering around on the sand bar. Amongst all the snorkelers, it was me- the one just standing on the sand between the two snorkeling areas that saw this giant turtle gliding between them! It was like a big moving rock which kept moving towards me and then right went over the ridge of sand right next to my feet!!!! One other person of about 30 snorkelers on both sides saw this happen but only after it moved over into the east side of the sand bar. I felt like I got a special “hello and good bye” from this gentle giant.

Just going to pack to make it real and head home now. Perhaps Dukes for a last taco and then we’re off. Sad to leave, but I am starting to dream about and miss those 2 beautiful goldens waiting for us at home so it is time. I have discovered my now 15 week old puppy has learned to ring a bell to go out and potty (she is such a smarty!) and my 8 year old ran to the phone when I called to her while talking with our friends caring for them. Heart is being pulled both ways right now, but there is a plane to catch and Kauai will be here to continue to pull us back. Mahalo for the wonderful memories…

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Enjoyed all of your reports. Thanks!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Your TR's have been so enjoyable...and I am glad you had such a beautiful day on the South Shore! Walking east (left) on the cliffs from where they were jumping off at Shipwrecks is one of the most wild and beautiful walks on the whole island...do put it on your list for next time.

Home is good, too...and it sounds like you have a wonderful welcome committee waiting for you!

Aloha and come back soon!

Edited: 16 September 2013, 07:07
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Have enjoyed your reports.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

I like your style - writing and travel. Your reports make me even more excited to visit Kauai. I wish you could stay and keep these reports coming every day until I finally get to Kauai in March! Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you have a smooth trip home.

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 16 September 2013, 17:11
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

Loved reading all your TRs. Safe travels home.

I'm sure the tail wags and the excitement you will feel seeing your pups again will help with the sadness of leaving Hawaii.

Aloha!

6. Re: TR:Poipu golf, Shipwrecks, Maha'ulepu, Poipu beaches/bye...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 07:18