We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kauai in October/November

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Kauai in October/November

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated...

My husband and I are looking forward to a long trip in Kauai in the October/November timeframe. So, first question: what's weather like? Second question: any special events that happen in that time period?

Based on reviews I've read so far, seems like North Shore is where we'd like to stay. We're not into the big hotel and prefer to be able to cook when we like. So, thinking somewhere nice, clean, and air conditioned would be great. Any recommendations of where to start to find condos or other rentals?

Husband likes to golf. Any large golf courses he can frequent on Kauai that anyone recommends?

Thanks for your advice.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

The only thing I can comment on is where to find condo accommodation. We had the best luck at vrbo.com and kauaivacationrentals.com

We haven't been there in the time you specify, nor do we golf, so can't comment on those!

Happy planning.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

oct/now are generally pretty nice. cooler than summer so low 80's daytime vs high 80s-90 now. The weather might be windier and rainier in Nov. It's not winter yet, but the rains will have picked up. More so on the North shore. Oct is a low period so things won't be so crowded. Stays that way up to just before Thanksgiving.

AC that time of year is not so important. Even now, when the trades are blowing we get by fine with ceiling fans.

Golf up there is Princeville. The Prince course has a rep as very long and hard. The 27 hole course is easier. I'm sure they have websites if you google for them. Brutally expensive in my mind, but I prefer to walk the beach to following a little white ball around.

There are other golf courses to the south from the county course at Waipouli to the 2 courses at Ahukinii/Nawiwiliwili to Puakeain Lihue to 3-4 on the south side. Just Google Kauai and golf for info. There are prob some threads here if you search a bit.

Special events that time of year-- Coconut festival in Kapaa is the only one that comes to mind. Basically craft vendors selling stuff in tents + some music/hula. It's worth a stop but not a special trip. That time of year you have many craft fairs etc in the run up to Xmas.

Where to stay -- might want to skim the B&B info here or check those 2 sites listed above.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

I don't golf, but there are several to choose from - have you read about them in Ultimate Kauai Revealed??

Condos: sames websites suggested by previous helpful poster . . . .they have the largest selection - I have one booked in August!

Best of luck! :)

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

Hi --

My husband and I frequently go to Kauai during this time of year, and will be back this November as well. We have generally had very good weather -- a few showers now and then, but no big deal. When we are up north by ourselves we usually stay in Princeville at either Pali Ke Kua or Sealodge condos -- both have great views. No air conditioning at either, but you shouldn't really need it.

We golf as well, but don't usually play the Princeville courses -- they are expensive and the Prince Course is really tough. The county course at Wailua and Puakea in Lihue are good bargains and nice courses.

Kimocat

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

You might like staying in Kapaa to be closer to the courses you will probably play. There have been some positive posts here from people who stayed at Wailua Bay View condos and some others -- Coconut Something (sorry!). I'm also trying to remember the name of the pretty course out near Kalaheo -- we used to enjoy going up there from Poipu. It seemed part golf and part bird sanctuary!

You might also like Poipu as the days start getting cooler and more rainy up north at Princeville. You will want A/C in Poipu. In fact, I always want to have it available, even though we almost never use it in our condo on Maui when we are there in February.

Do look at vrbo.com for direct booking from an owner.

Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

If considering the east shore, the "Coconut Coast," the Kauai Coast Resort (KCR) is our favorite. It's located beachfront just behind the Coconut Marketplace outdoor mall (shops, galleries, dining, movie theaters, etc.) on the main road. KCR has 1 & 2 bdrm. condos with full kitchens, clean, recently updated, and air conditioned. The grounds are well maintained (lots of coconut palms, tropical flowers and plants), a nice heated pool and spa (waterfall & pool bar) and a good resturant on-site; the Hukilau Lanai. About half the units are ocean view, and many lanai's have an ocean view if the room doesn't. KCR is in south Kapa'a, a good central location for exploring south and north shore beach activities abd sights. We'll be there for our third visit this coming Thanksgiving... can't wait! ALOHA!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and recommendations! I spent this weekend at Barnes and Noble pondering over the book, Unlimited Kauai Revealed. It was a good help...

And, thus, in my infinite (and often faulty) wisdom when I first posted my questions, I was almost sure the North shore would be best. After reading through the book, it seems the South shore might be a little better. If hubby really wants to go to Princeville to golf, what's the estimated driving time? 30 minutes?

Hence, I have researched and found a potential place to stay at the following: http://www.kauaibeachrentals.com/. Their called Turtle Cove Suites. Anyone stayed there?

Thanks again, all! It's greatly appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

Poipu/Princeville is roughly an hour to an hour 10 with no traffic delays (avoid morning/evening rush which will add prob 15 min+)

Tell your husband if he's willing to tee off at say 2 PM, you can get serious discounts. Playing 2-6 is about the same as 7:30-11:30 heatwise. Check online and elsewhere for discount deals. Friend just told me he paid below the Kama'aina rate using some pre-negotiatied package. (not a golfer so didn't really pay attention)

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

My wife and I stayed in Kapaa in October, 2005 and found it centrally located for the golf at Princeville which is very nice but expensive and the beach at Poipu where snorkeling is great. The Princeville golf course has some holes you just won't see other places, along the cliffs, over ravines, and down some narrow fairways flanked by thick island shrubs. I didn't play the other courses on Kauai but had the feeling they were more cleared out. My partner had to stop the refreshment cart 3 times to buy golf balls, so wild shots are punished severely. As I recall, the greens were being treated, so be sure to ask before you book a tee time. You are also close to the Waimea river for kayaking if you want. We stayed at a garden style apartment complex that had a view of the ocean but the beach was rocky. That was ok because we wanted to go to the better known places anyway.

The weather in early October was in the mid 80's with a light wind. The clouds seemed to hang over the Napali trail and didn't get down to the beaches. A lot of the smaller complexes offer grilling out on the grounds. Enjoy!

Atlanta, GA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Kauai in October/November

dave820 is certainly correct about the lengthy drive from Poipu to the Princeville area, maybe even worse depending upon the time of day.

A good compromise, as others have suggested, is in the Kapaa / Wailua area.

We have stayed many times at the Lanikai resort (condos). It is a small, private property (18 condos) that are really quite nice. Easy to walk to restaurants, shopping, even to grocery, though that's a little longer walk.

The beach in front of the complex is small but a much larger beach is closeby, in front of the old Coco Palms.

As for golf, you can drive north to the Princeville courses or south to the Poipu courses... or even the Wailua Public course !