We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Hi all.

We'll be in Kauai in october (4-9th) and would like to do a snorkel tour, but water conditions may not permit this, so the Southern Star's sunset tour may be another option (although no snorkelling involved).

Question : will the waters be calm enough for what seems to be a serene, relaxing cruise? And what about getting a refund if a reschedule doesn't suit our dates?

Or should we just forget the boat tour altogether?

Thanks!

Polynesian Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Kauai Russian Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Main point here is that the snorkeling is a side activity not the main attraction of the Napali Coast boat tours, aka there is much better elsewhere. Captain Andy's can advise on their refund policy... it'll also be on the website, but a phone chat would answer your questions better. Weather is unpredictable, but of course affects the smaller boats more than the larger ones. Small boats aren't "serene, and relaxing" very often...

Edited: 17 September 2013, 00:45
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,078 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

The best snorkeling here is off the beach. In October, try Po`ipu Beach and Lawai Beach.

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

I'd recommend the snorkel tour in the morning when the ocean is usually calmer. Keep in mind that snorkeling is secondary; the Na Pali Coast is the main reason to take either of these tours. The best snorkeling on Kauai is done off shore. When I took the Southern Star Sunset tour in July of 2012, I was also expecting a "serene, relaxing cruise." Turned out to be the roughest, most miserable time I could imagine--almost as horrible as not having a pool at my condo. : ( I'd check with the company to see what their refund policy is; I think most require 24 hour notice, but do check. Seeing the Na Pali by boat is definitely worth it!!

Mentioned in this post
Na Pali Coast
Na Pali Coast
72 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,771 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

<<Turned out to be the roughest, most miserable time I could imagine--almost as horrible as not having a pool at my condo. >>

22kauai is sooo funny!!!! LOL

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

We were on the Southern Star snorkel trip in Feb. so we didn't get to see the coast at all, and didn't expect to, ocean conditions were nuts. We headed south and had a great time with them. I will say that our time with them was amazing. I would say book but check 24 hours out...you CAN cancel!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

If the conditions aren't good enough for snorkeling a dinner cruise may not be the best idea either. I've been on quite a few morning cruises when the water is supposedly calmer and have still had some rough rides. I can't imagine what it's like to be dining on the boat when the water is rougher in the late afternoon/evening.

Go when the water is calmer, which is the morning tours, and just don't bother with the snorkeling. The snorkeling is offered as something to do while they prepare the lunch for everyone. It's not the reason for the trip. Seeing the Napali is the reason for the trip. So just relax onboard those 45 minutes or so and take some great photos , have a drink, talk to other passengers. About half of the passengers don't go into the water.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

We took the Southern Star dinner cruise last year around the same time you will be there. I would describe it as a rock n roll motion most of the trip. Not easy to stand or walk a lot of the time. We really enjoyed it though. The crew is great and and the landscape is just unbelieveable. There were people that got sick however. My husband and I used the ear patches we got from the Dr. at home.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Thank you all. I thought the snorkelling was the main attraction of the tour. Looks like sunset tour also isn't a great idea, especially that I get seasick...

Any other companies that run the tours in the morning? Preferably from Port Allen?

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Holo Holo has a morning tour. holoholokauaiboattours.com/kauai_boat_tours/…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Capt Andy's Southern Star : Snorkel tour vs. Sunset tour?

Others with morning tours:

Kauai SeaTours

Blue Dolphin

Holo Holo Tours

The first 2 are my personal top choices.

I understand what you're saying. When they call them "snorkel tours" it might sound like the snorkelingis the main attraction. But if that were the case they wouldn't need to ply two hours up the Napali coastline for that, where the snorkeling is marginal at best anyway!

I think they toss in the word snorkel just so folks know that there will be an opportunity to snorkel for a very short while. However, the purpose of the Napali tours , and reason people book it, is to see the Napali. You can find better snorkeling right from the shore and the operators know that. It's just something to do while they drop anchor and prepare lunch.