We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another top ten for Kauai

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Another top ten for Kauai

usatoday.com/story/…

Kauai

Hawaii is one of the best off-peak destinations for fall because, despite what the abundance of travel deals might lead you to believe, the weather is pretty amazing. Our pick for autumn travel is laid-back, lush Kauai, which sees fewer visitors than some of the more popular Hawaiian Islands.

In lieu of hundreds of high-rise hotels, Kauai offers plenty of charming guest cottages and cute B&Bs. The period from the end of summer to just before the holidays is an excellent time to find deals and lower seasonal rates for Kauai's quirky rentals and hideaways. We spotted plenty with lower nightly rates for the fall season, including this adorable private cottage listed on Airbnb, at which rates drop to as low as $65 per night in September (compared to $95 per night in winter and spring), and this fabulous rental, at which rates dip to $175 in fall (from $215 in summer). Additionally, the Hawaii Tourism Authority website features an extensive list of seasonal accommodation specials for fall stays on the island, including room discounts, free nights, and price breaks on tours and activities.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

Ssshhhhh.........

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

I thought this was my secret!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

Yay, us!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

Not surprising at all ;) I've always said it's the most gorgeous place on Earth! And very special....

3Chihuahuas

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

Every time I see something like "Kauai offers plenty of charming guest cottages and cute B&Bs," I just want to call BS. First, most of the lodging is in resort-like condo complexes (getting actual numbers would be interesting, but I'd guess 66%, with another 25% being traditional hotel rooms). Among the rest, there are very few legal B&Bs (multi-unit residential rooms). Most of the remaining are single-unit residential rentals (TVRs, VRBOs, etc). These are full houses, though there are a lot of cottages as well (ADUs--additional dwelling units, aka 'ohana units, aka in-law units). And most of those are in Princeville or along the Poipu coast (resort-like areas).

What descriptions such as this are really talking about are those few remaining charming little cottages by a secluded beach or in a tropical setting inland. And those are the often discussed TVRs (transient vacation rentals) that are either loopholed, grandfathered, or illegal. In most cases, the intent of the law was to regulate and limit such rentals, because they encroach on the residential areas. But in practice, owners found loopholes in the law, claimed ignorance, got grandfather status, or outright operated illegally (without permit or with multiple units). I was shocked walking along Aku and Weke roads recently to see that 2 of every 3 houses is a rental. No wonder locals are complaining that they can't afford to live in Hanalei anymore--or wouldn't want to if they could.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the image of Kauai that keeps getting published is one that is not compatible with the number of visitors we get. It should say that if you're lucky and willing to spend the money, you could get one of the rare cottages or B&Bs that have local charm. I guess it shouldn't be shocking that travel literature makes destinations seem more appealing than they really are.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

Well, I think the intent was to say that "Hawaii" in general is a good travel destination for the Fall Mr. KauaiHiker. I understand your point.

You know this is USAToday, right Hike! When I let them tell me where I should stay I'll wind up in a B&B with you....and still be happy. :)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

I found that B&B's in Europe were totally different that what we call B&B's in the states. Maybe USAToday's B&B is more like you'd find in other countries.

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

<<I guess what I'm trying to say is that the image of Kauai that keeps getting published is one that is not compatible with the number of visitors we get. It should say that if you're lucky and willing to spend the money, you could get one of the rare cottages or B&Bs that have local charm. I guess it shouldn't be shocking that travel literature makes destinations seem more appealing than they really are.>>

I didn't get that from the article at all. I understood it say that fall is a good time to get deals and I agree. They did mention Princeville Plantation which is always cheap and also a place many locals of Princeville LIVE. B&B's? I don't see them in abundance, but there certainly are many legal (and illegal) cottages on the island. Those people you say can't afford to own in Hanalei? They are the ones renting out their homes to visitors. 22kauai rents a "cottage" from a local family and they own many rentals all over Weke Rd and all over the island. I sure don't feel sorry for them. Take a peak at the phone numbers of the owners who rent in Hanalei. 808 area codes.

As far as travel magazines making destinations look better. Duh! Take a look at a fashion magazine and see the airbrushed models. Its all an illusion but at least we know Kauai is beautiful to visit anytime.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

"The period from the end of summer to just before the holidays is an excellent time to find deals and lower seasonal rates "

I agree with this, except for the airfare in Oct. from LAX. The prices just did not go down to where they were before at $404 r/t. I checked everything for months. Guess it's supply and demand.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another top ten for Kauai

OMG, Jebett you've let the secret out! We've been traveling to Kauai every November since 2002 and have had great weather every year other than 2010 when we had huge swells on north shore and ALL the beaches were closed. We usually stay in Hanalei Bay Villa #3 in Princeville which is closest to my favorite Mai Tai on the island- Hanalei Gourmet!