We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

Mullumbimby...
4 posts
Save Topic
3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

I'm trying to plan a trip where we'll be close to lots of amazing, moderate to strenuous hiking AND we have a non-hiker with us. The non-hiker has serious knee issues and he loves snorkeling and he can drive. We're going to be in Kauai for 1 week in early Feb. None of us has ever been to Kauai, and one thrilled Australian is ready to experience his life-long dream of Hawaii.

I'm thinking I'd like to get accommodation in Hanapepe or Waimea so the hiking team can easily launch for hikes from there.

Is it best to stick to the south for the snorkeler's sake?

Also, I prefer not to hike with lots of other people on the trails. Should I be considering other parts of the island for hiking/snorkeling? I am wondering if it is wall-to-wall tourists in the Kokee/Waimea Canyon trails. Maybe I'd be happier not going to those frequently written about areas...

We would be open to relocating (staying 3 days here, then 3 days there) once during the week.

Thanks for any input. Sorry if this post is 'all over the place'. :^)

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

Well, if you want to be nice to the snorkeler, I'd stay south in the Poipu area. There would be more for all of you to do there--swimming, shopping, restaurants, and, of course, snorkeling. The drive from Poipu to Waimea is one of my favorites--gorgeous views and not a lot of traffic. I don't do a lot of hiking, but I did go on the Alaka'i Swamp hike last July, and most of the time we were by ourselves. I don't think you'll have a problem with too many people.

California
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

I'd stay in Poipu anyway. Its got a lot more going on and not far for you to hike. You also have more accommodation options staying in Poipu.

Have you checked out the hiking top question to the right? It will give you so much information and we have our own hiking expert in Kauaihiker. Kalapakidooley hikes all over too and can help.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

In February you'll want to stay south anyway. Good snorkeling at a couple or three beaches and not too far from lots of great hikes in Waimea Canyon. Waimea and Hanapepe are a bit out of the way from most amenities.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

G'day,

Feb, you might think about Poipu......couple of reasons as far as hiking.

During Feb: It can be fairly rainy in the mountains, muddy and slippery and wet.. Of course that is all up to mother nature but you should be aware of that. For 12 years we stayed at poipu, and if we did have rain up on the mountain trails we could walk over to the Hyatt and hike the very neat coastal trail over to Maha'ulepu, past Kauai Loa, over to Ha'ulu beach and back. It is sandy and lava rock, and not much mud at all.

We also were in sunny poipu with the best chance of sunshine, plus snorkeling at poipu beach park, and lawai beach, all in close proximity.

Add, in that we could drive up to waimea canyon and koke'e for their trails as well as the east side trails, and even up north. There is great trail information in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, and we also have an additional Kauai Trais ( hiking ) guide book.

Poipu will also be convenient with many different restaurants and fun places for you to tour and visit. But, you can also drive to the other places that you mentioned if you wish. NO big deal, easy stuff.

Cheers

Edited: 26 September 2013, 04:49
Mullumbimby...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

Hi all you helpful commenters! Thank you so much. I was looking for some guidance on where to start looking to stay, and this has been very eye-opening. I will 'be nice' to the snorkeler and try to stay near Poipu. I had been avoiding this because it seems like a tourist haven, and its not really my scene- I'd rather be away from the crowds, but I can see from your posts that its got the most chance of dependably sunny weather for Februry. I was wondering what y'all were talking about: fun places to tour and visit. So, your posts caused me to look a bit more about it and even though it seems quite touristy, it DOES seem like fun, too! We're really looking forward to it.

Cheers!

PS, to Jebett: you have mentioned twice that I should look at 'hiking top question to the right' but my browser isn't showing that. Is there a specific question that you are referring to that I might find answers to?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

In the 'Top Questions About Kauai' list next to your original post, there is one called - Hiking Advice . If it doesn't show up in your browser, try typing 'Hiking Advice' in the search box above your post - it will bring up plenty of info about various trails. Welcome to Kauai - well, the forum at least....

California
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k37291…

And there are more. Look to the right of your post or better yet, see Kauaihiker under destination experts? Open up his profile and he is a wealth of information. Almost all his posts are hiking related.

8. Re: 3 hikers and 1 snorkeler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:19