We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need trip planning help

Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Need trip planning help

Kauai experts,

Headed to Kauai for five days in early October, so just curious about ideas for a family of four with two boys, 15 and 12. We're staying in Princeville and thinking:

Day 1 after arrival - Wings Over Kauai (since my wife and oldest get seasick and probably couldn't take the boat or helicopter)

Day 2 - Princeville Ranch ziplining and maybe afternoon snorkelling later at Tunnels or Ke'e

Day 3 - maybe hit Waimea Canyon morning and afternoon ride ATV at Kipu Ranch (not sure whether the waterfall picnic or the scenic ranch is better)

Day 4 - tube down the irrigation tunnels and just relax our last day

Day 5 - relax and head to Lihue

Any additional thoughts or itinerary rearranging? Mahalo in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
The Otherside
Scuba & Snorkeling, Hiking & Camping Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,078 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need trip planning help

Be flexible about your snorkeling. In October it's entirely possible to have dangerous swells on the north shore. If it's not *too* bad, you can try Anini. Snorkeling is hit or miss, but there are sometimes interesting critters in there. It's a nice beach. If north shore conditions are not good you'll have to head to Po`ipu/Lawa`i to snorkel.

Hamilton, New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need trip planning help

When you go to the canyon consider taking a side trip to Poipu and check out the Maha'ulepu trail next to the Grandy Hyatt. a shrot walk in to some beautiful views and rock formations. We happened to go just before sunset and took some of the most beautiful pictures of the entire trip.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need trip planning help

Good scoops for the OP from pzp.

Generally october can bring strong long shore currents along the north shore beaches that are like rapids running parallel to the beaches. Your best bet for adding in snorkeling may be the south shore as pzp mentioned.

I like your wide choice of activities and fun things to share with your family. WOK is an excellent choice, but do pay attention to the motion sickness...air sickness problem that you mentioned. If they can fly on an airliner with no problem, they should be OK for the G-8 aerovan that Wings over Kauai flies.

We have not been with Kipu Ranch on an ATV ride, but had one heck of grand time with the waterfall and picnic with KAUAI ATV.......we had the mud bug, and it was an absolute super good adventure and a a bit more muddy than Kipu Ranch......you will have a great time with KIPU as they receive high marks here on the forum. Great family fun.

I like your wide range of activities and actually being out with your family exploring and enjoying the different shores and wide range of activity that you have selected.

Zip lining is also a grand family adventure and high on the fun meter. The tubing, is major relax floating down the irration ditches, thru the tunnels, and perfect for ending your week of more robust activities.

Your week is going to go at light speed, and you will have all kinds of great memories of Kauai. You have done well with your family vacation planning.

E Komo Mai

Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need trip planning help

Mahalo everybody, I'm soaking it all in. If you think of any additional family fun, please let me know! Aloha

Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need trip planning help

OK, family called an audible. Now it looks like we will likely head to Costco and straight to the condo after arrival, then maybe hit Anini or Hanalei beach. Day 2 we'll ride ATVs at Kipu Ranch in the morning and Waimea canyon in the afternoon. Day 3 we'll hit Princeville Ranch ziplining and maybe afternoon snorkelling later at Tunnels or Ke'e. Day 4 we're booked with Capt Andy's for a sail and snorkel tour (better stock up on seasickness treatment). Day 5 - relax and head to Lihue. Any thoughts on which Kipu ATV tour to take? We have to take the 4 person vehicle since my sons aren't 16 and the wife's not trying to drive!

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
6. Re: Need trip planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:19