We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

marlboro new jersey
Level Contributor
172 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

We will be coming to kauai and staying in poipu dec 20/21st (different flights). We are staying at marriott timeshare. We are two adults young 50's and three 19/22 year olds. We love adventure (not too much hiking though). We don't know ay of land or how to plan out our week. On Friday afternoon we switch to Lihue for last night and day. Can anyone propose an itinerary to follow. We would love to hit highlights and local eating spots etc. we have not booked any formal things yet either and would lie to mix it up between those and doing thigs on our own. We would like to definitely like to do SUP on one day. Thanks Mahalo!!!!

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

Highly recommend Roberts Hawaii movie tour. There is a Slack key guitar show in Hanelei on Friday afternoons which is also very good and restaurant BarAcuda is nearby with great tapas and sangria. Mini-golf on north shore is fun too.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

My must sees would be the north shore for a day as well as Waimea Canyon/Kokee state park, even if you don't hike - amazing views!

What activities do you all enjoy besides trying SUP? snorkeling? boat trip? helicopter ride?

If you search here on the forum, you will find a ton of recommendations for food/restaurants to enjoy. :)

California
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

Do you have a guidebook? I like The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook; it's gone with me to Kauai every year for the last ten. Here are just a couple of companies that have adventures that might appeal to you.

www.outfitterskauai.com

www.kiputours.com

www.poipubeachsurfschool.com

www.kauaibackcountry.com

California
Level Contributor
35,817 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

First off....do you have a car rented? If not do this yesterday.

I just got an email from Hawaii Discount Car Rental and they are already seeing higher prices and fewer cars for the holidays.

So you are staying at The Marriott in Poipu? Nice property. Good beach, walking distance to a lot. It will be packed for Xmas.

You need to consider what two young adults want to do too so maybe zipling, atv, surf lessons, hiking, visit the canyon, take a day trip to the North Shore.

Go buy a guidebook tonight. The island is actually very easy to get around and I don't think the 19 and 22 year old want to be stuck on a Robert's Tour.

Make Xmas dinner reservations in a few weeks and I recommend Plantation Garden. Maybe try Dukes one night too.

Remind the 19 year old that the drinking age is 21.

To the right of your post is top questions. It has a section on hiking, water safety, restaurants etc. Start reading some recent blogs and trip reports and that will help you do an itinerary.

Just rent that car!

marlboro new jersey
Level Contributor
172 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

Thank you all for the quick replies and great ideas. Keep them coming. There are actually five of us (two 22 year olds) and we have an SUV. We have traveled extensively and done some pretty cool things already -- dog sled in Alaska, helicopter in Grand Canyon, SUVs, Whale watching, zip lining in Costa Rica, horse back ridding etc. we have loved it all and we are sure to love Kauai as well. We will definitely pick up quite book immediately. Any must do local eats?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

Hamuras Saimin - not to be missed. kauai-vacations-with-kids.com/hamuras-saimin…

Shave ice - Wishing Well or Original Jo Jo's Anuenue Shave Ice

I am with 22kauai - get a copy of Kauai Revealed or Underground - would be a big help for you all to decide what to do. :)

Hopewell, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

If you are in Poipu there are many good resturants

Keoki's Paradise is a great place to have good food and good times.

I would even recommend Puka Dog for quick lunch.

Josselins is a nice tapas restaurant

Both Merrimans and Tortilla republic have more formal upstairs dining and more pub like downstairs options.

Plantation gardens also always seems to get high marks.

marlboro new jersey
Level Contributor
172 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all of the info. I can't wait to start planning.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

A lot of the fun of travelling to a new place is researching it and planning what you want to see and do. Do you really want someone else to plan out your itinerary? You've got ample time to start some reading up on the island. There's a number of good guidebooks and a lot of info can be gained right here on this forum from past threads. Even doing a simple search here using the keywords "trip reports" and you'll get tons of returns with that. Read up on what some other folks have done with itineraries. You can pull out things you like from all of them. In the end though you'll probably find that the people who didn't have an ironclad itinerary and left themselves open for adventure had the best time.

10. Re: first timer need suggested itinerary for Monday to Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:20