We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Hi all! We are leaving for Kauai on Saturday for 8 nights. My husband and I would like to do a couple hikes. We are staying 4 nights in Princeville and 4 nights in Poipu. One caveat, I am 5 months pregnant (but otherwise in shape) so the hikes can't be too steep or dangerous. What would you say are your top two choices for mellower hikes but with gorgeous views/scenery? Thanks so much!!

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

My wife did the Mahaulepu trail while 6 months pregnant with ease. you should have no problem. Trail head starts behind shipwrecks beach in poipu

kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/mahaulepu_tra…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k62751…

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mahaulepu-trail-poipu

Edited: 02 October 2013, 23:44
California
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Here's one thread that might be helpful. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k47187… If you type in easy hikes in the search function above, you'll find many more threads.

California
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Just don't do the Kalalau.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

There's a nice walking/biking path along the east side.

Hopewell, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

You will want to stay away from muddy trails and large elevation changes.

The recommendation for Mahaulepu is a good one It's ordinarily dry and combines coastal views with a great beach. The bike/walking path in Kapaa is also very nice.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

We went when wife was 4 months and mahaulepu would be a great hike. Not too much overhead shade so be careful.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
960 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Echoing Jammer - it can get pretty hot out there. Bring lots of water and maybe a large brimmed hat...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

Thank you so much everyone, this is very helpful. Can't wait to explore the beautiful island!

bwright1
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

I actually did the first part of the Kalalau while 5 months pregnant and I would say it's definitely doable. I was active throughout my pregnancy but not crazy fit. I just made sure we went on a super dry day so the chances of me slipping were low. Just go slow, take it easy and have lots of water.

10. Re: Top Hiking Spots for Pregnant Lady

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:18