We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Popui Kapili Warning

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
162 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Popui Kapili Warning

Just a comment and not a question

I just left the Poipu Kapili this morning. They are doing some serious drainage construction. No peace and quiet. A mess if you wish to chill out at the pool. Very disappointed with this property. Will write review later.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
42 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

Leaving for Kauai tomorrow. Originally booked there. The management company sent me an email notifying of the construction with the option to cancel. Decided to do so since it sounded like a major project around the pool. Not the relaxing vacation I planned for - sorry they were not so forthcoming with you. We are now staying at Kiahuna Plantation and recently found out pool has closed after booking. Still sounds like it was the better option over dealing with the muddy construction. Thank you for posting the warning.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

For notifications, it might depend on how the unit was rented. Either by time share, private owner, or the resort. We , here at Banyan Harbor are quite convoluted.

Full time owners living here

Owners part time a few monthes out of the year

Time Share units

Long time rental units from owners ( that is us )

Visitor rentals by owners

Visitor rentals by office

Time share unit rentals.

Actually, we have been treated to a major remodel of the unit next door for a few weeks now, and that will end in about another week. We love our neighbors who wisely are back on the mainland during the construction, but will be happy when they return in a week, and we get to see their finished project.

Great people and we are fortunate to have them as next door neighbors.

We try to get out during the day, for hikes, swimming at the beach, and our pool, and exploring about our island. But , we will be happy when the sawing and hammering, and banging ends.

Unfortunately , we have witnessed Resort construction that the guests were totally unaware of, and this was also a pool project complete with jack hammers and lots of noise. Most of them avoided that by staying away fromt the pool area and finding peacful places on the beach. This was a couple of years or so back, and I asked the guests if they had been advised.....they had not. It is also a combo of Time Share and Resort Rental rooms.

Mahalo to the OP, for posting the warning.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

You weren't notified in advance? Or offered a discount in advance? Did you rent from the onsite manager or their main website? Cabby was notified prior to arrival and given the option cancel. That's more than what most rental agencies would do, especially the off site ones. When renting through a second party operation , such as the many online listing services, I can guarantee you wouldn't get that courtesy. The main onsite rental office and manager at Poipu Kapili is a top notch operation. So I'm wondering why you weren't notified and given the same options as the other poster was.

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

Napa is so right.

We had a major issue at HBR with guests who booked through travel sites like Hotels.com, Expedia and online bookings (plus a few rental agencies that could have cared less if their guests were inconvienced with notifications) when we had some construction going on. Ever owner and managing agent had been told a month before (or more) but those sites aren't going to call you.

When you checked in, were you told? At that time you should have been offered a discount (many people are out all day long and that stuff wouldn't bother them) or the chance to cancel?

Also, drainage issues might have been last minute and the OP might have already been there. The trouble with putting this out on the internet is in 3 days this could be completed and then someone reads this thread in 2 months and thinks its still going on. You should make that clear when you submit a review.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
162 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

I had a feeling l would need to reply.

I rented thru the owner. It was number 48. This is a big project that l'm sure will go for another week. I wasn't told by the owner or the office when l checked into my unit.

No discount was offered to me by the owner.

I here at the pali Me Kua......and loving it

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

Do you mean Pali Ke Kua on the North Shore?

That is really too bad the owner didn't tell you. So you left or you were planning on going North anyway?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

That's awful, & is a great indicator that this can happen with any type of booked accommodations, from VRBO through the large consolidators (Expedia, Orbitz etc..)

I had initially planned on using my cousins unit at "The Point at Poipu," but construction issues necessitated my finding alternate accommodations, and we also (luckily) ended up at 'Pali Ke Kua' and I couldn't have been happier with both my selection, as well as being on northshore this wondrous time of year! The only downside to having the best location on the property -- our unit was directly at the point -- was that people parked their posteriors in front of our unit all times of day/night to take pics & enjoy the amazing vistas here (and perhaps also enjoy some slack-key uke frequently emanating from one of my '4-or 6-stringers' out on the lanai.. ;)

Here's a pic indicating why I elected to enjoy my breakfast in or on the lanai (as opposed to eatin out) at our Pali Ke Kua digs.. :)

…photobucket.com/albums/…20130903_064610.jpg

Hope the respective above mentioned properties work out their renovation issues in a non-"island-time" fashion.. (as if.. ; )

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 05 October 2013, 00:42
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

MauiN0KaOi: I assume your vacation will be over by October 21 but wonder if those booked at Pali Ke Kua in that time period have been told of plans to close pool area and spa starting October 21st for about two weeks. For info click on "Swimming Pool..." near bottom of following link:

palikekua.org/doc/toc.asp…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

"I rented thru the owner. It was number 48. This is a big project that l'm sure will go for another week. I wasn't told by the owner or the office when l checked into my unit. "

The way it works is when an owner rents their unit out themselves, the onsite rental manager has less responsibility and control. Reality is, they aren't making a commission from that particular owner because the owner is handling it all themselves. So the communiques should have come from the owner. When you arrived there the front desk would presume you were made aware of the situation by the owner who you rented directly from. They have no control over what the individual owners do or say when renting out their own units. In these cases it's the owner who quotes the price, or offers any discounts, or whatever.

When I rented out my condo, and I knew of something like this happening, I would contact my upcoming guests and let them know of the situation and do exactly what was done for the other poster here - a discount or let them cancel.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Popui Kapili Warning

Helpful info, CT - yes, I've come & gone, & wasn't on island long enough for pool/spa closure to have made a difference, though I could see this being an issue on longer stays & for those that utilize the cement ponds on a regular basis.

With Hideways a stone's throw away, & a short drive to the diverse shoreline offerings at Hanalei Bay; Tunnels, Lumahai, Haena, Ke'e & even Kalihiwai in the opposite direction, I didn't have a chance to even contemplate using the pool at Pali Ke Kua -- although that darn spa certainly would have come in handy after our Kalalau excursion!

In any case, another stay at Pali Ke Kua is definitely in my future, so I hope they do a stellar job & complete those renovations before my next trip over to the garden isle.. :)