We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalalau trail

Tucson
Level Contributor
55 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Kalalau trail

On our second day of a 12 day trip. We are staying in Poipu and would like to hike the first part of the Kalalua trail. It's been a it rainy off and on. We have checked the weather for the north shore and it seems ok. We have hiked the trail before when it's been muddy. We don't want to slip and slide too much. Any thoughts.....we are only hiking to first beach.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalalau trail

Actually the last couple of days have been pretty nice on the south east side, but there were plenty of clouds up on the mountains........maybe shanty, joan or pzp can give you some north shore updates.

It would be great if the trail had some time to dry out. We did have a passing shower or two here in lihue yesterday, but sunny most of the time. Today, wednesday at 9 am, sunshine, very light winds, no white caps, calm sea.

Since we have had rain, some heavy, a few days ago up north, perhaps a TA visitor who has recently been up north and maybe hiked the hanakapiai trail can give you updates as well as other TA folks.

We find the hanakapiai trail muddy in sections almost any time that we have hiked there, with some areas totally dry. Last time a couple months back, we hiked into hanakapiai beach, low level of water flow on the stream, ( no problem ) and lots of dry treking on the trail , but also some rather muddy sections. Erica and I , and our hiking buddy from the mainland, all had boots and one hiking stick each. We were the big exception, but these ol bones are getting a bit creaking in the joints, so they actually came in handy.

Everyone else was bombing along at light speed. We moved along at a farily good rate, but did move over and let the more nimble folks go past us. We did not get out of breath or work up any mamor sweat, and all went to the Hanalei Dolphin for a large freindship table lunch and a grand time after the hike.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 20:03
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalalau trail

We've had rain off and on, although the past couple of days have been nice. I'm on the opposite end of the north shore, though. Maybe shantybob is around to comment.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalalau trail

Grab a stick that folks leave on the beginning of the trail and head up. I've gone after a few days of rain, and though it was slick, I still could do it but more slowly. If its too tough, seeing the views from the first few lookouts is still worth the drive.

If you have time stop for lunch at Mediterranean Gourmet for lunch.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalalau trail

I've hiked the first half mile to the coast view the afternoon after a steady day of rain and it was fine (bit of mud, few slicker spots), but that's the first part... I'd think the stretch as far as the beach should be reasonable, beyond that would be more iffy.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 00:29
Tucson
Level Contributor
55 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalalau trail

Thanks, we do have hiking sticks. We are 56 and 66, so we are not in a race. Mud here and there just fine.

6. Re: Kalalau trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:20