We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report so far...

North Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report so far...

My boyfriend and I arrived in Lihue on Wednesday, October 2nd. It was a long trip from Minneapolis made easier by US Airways. Our flights left on time and arrived on time or earlier. We had the good fortune to be seated next to a US Airways pilot for the PHX/HNL leg. He was charming and interesting and my boyfriend really enjoyed chatting with him. Anyway, we landed in Lihue about 5 pm local time, walked right out the terminal and onto the Avis bus. We got our car and were on Hwy 56 heading north by 6 pm. We had good directions and easily found our north shore accommodations, The Secret Princess by 7 pm. Secret Princess was in a lovely setting and the room was very nice. We dropped our bags and drove to Hanalei. I wanted to try Tahiti Nui but they were packed so we went across the street to Kalypso and I am glad we did. Fabulous fish and shrimp tacos, good Mai tais and excellent service. We walked around town for a bit and then went back to our room for some much needed sleep. Thursday we were up early and at the Wake Up Cafe for breakfast. I had the mac nut cinnamon roll and my companion had the french toast. Both were delicious as was the coffee and the service! After that we headed north and drove all the way to Ke'e Beach,turned around and went back to Tunnels Beach and spent the morning there. It was so beautiful I hated to leave. Back to Hanalei we went and found our way to Ching Young Shopping Center. We ended up at Hanalei Pizza for lunch and it was the best I ever had. I had a brief moment of regret as we watched folks coming out of the Island Cafe right across from the pizza place. The plate lunches looked delicious. We did some window shopping and ended up at Bouchons for a beer. The view from our table was awesome and worth the $18 bar tab for one drink each. We went back to Secret Princess and did some serious chilling on the lanai. Dinner that night was take out from Foodland. Unremarkable. The chicken wings were way past dry but the pineapple coleslaw was good.

Friday we had coffee from Hanalei Roasters and carrot cake we had picked up at the Island Cafe n our lanai enjoying the fabulous mountain view and then it was time to leave. We drove back to Hanalei and then to Hanalei Bay for a photo stop. Next time I am on Kauai I will spend the day there. I don't think I have ever seen a prettier place. We headed south on 56 and stopped at Kilauea hoping to get into the park but it was closed. It was a good place to get some great pics though. Next stop was Long Drug and then Walmart. Crazy crowds and traffic. Lunch that day was L&L Bbq. We split a plate lunch of chicken teriyaki and short ribs. It was a good cheap lunch.

We continued south and drove through the famous tree tunnel and shortly after that arrived at the Point at Poipu. I was totally blown away. It was amazing and our two bedroom unit was perfect. Everything was top notch and I loved our location. First floor and technically a garden view if we stepped off our lanai and walked a very short distance we were at the oceans edge. Perfect. Privacy and quiet-exactly what we wanted. After unpacking we went to Kalapaki Joes for mai tais and fish tacos. Yum. It became our new favorite place!

Today is October 15th and we have been on Kauai almost two weeks. We leave Friday for a week on Oahu. More to come!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report so far...

What a terrific report! I'm glad you are so obviously enjoying your time here...that is one sweet little place you found up north. I love the views from the cliffs in front of The Point. You are lucky to be staying right there. That is probably my most favorite place to walk on the whole island.

Have fun the rest of your time here and on O'ahu. We'll enjoy your next installment - whenever it comes! No worries.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 22:09
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report so far...

Is Secret Princess at a condo complex? I couldn't tell for sure from the photos.

How nice to have enough time to divide your stay between north and south so you can fully experience both areas.

California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report so far...

Hale Moi condos in Princeville is where they stayed.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report so far...

we h ad room 606 at PoP...steps to the ocean...during whale season ! It was phenomenal! we love the Point! Glad you are having a great time!

California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report so far...

Mickey:

How is construction at The Pointe doing? I remember they were having to redo the stucco or something big like that.

Hopewell, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report so far...

Sounds like you are having a great trip so far. Thanks for taking us along.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report so far...

Thanks for sharing! Great trip it sounds like.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report so far...

Glad you're having fun!

We used to own at the Point - it was funny to sit by the Grand Hyatt lagoon and look over at "our old place" - the most oceanfront building (the one where they do the timeshare tours) has been re-stucco'd and looks good (not necessarily $3,000 per week ownership special assessment good, but that's another story). I assume other buildings have been completed but we didn't walk over there.

Definitely take a walk down along the shoreline - there always seems to be turtles "surfing" just off the rocks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report so far...

Thanks for sharing. Sounds great...carry on.

10. Re: Trip Report so far...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 06:19