We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

I just noticed this, apparently happened this past Sunday near Kilauaea: thegardenisland.com/news/local/man-fights-of… This guy is a former boxer and looks like he gave the shark quite a pummeling. Found another mention in surfing news: surfline.com/surf-news/… Quite the story!

California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

He did what surfers are supposed to do. Bop em on the nose. He was lucky!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

Wow! What a story! I'm glad he survived with no harm done!

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

Jebett, he says it was the punch to the eye that finally caused the shark to let go. Ouch!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

This might be stupid question but I am curios why don't surfers (or anyone) carry a small knife for situations like this?

I guess it is highly unlikely situation but why not have knife is safely attached to bottom of surf board or to shin?

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:49
California
Level Contributor
36,475 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

David: I am sure he was hitting where ever he could. This happened at a spot frequented by local surfers, not visitors.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

I am not a surfer, but as a diver who *used to* always carry a knife strapped to my leg, I can think of several reasons. One, the chance of injuring yourself in a chaotic situation is very real. This is why I always recommend if you are going to buy a dive knife, start with a blunt tipped one. Good for cutting fishing line, digging into the sand to steady yourself against strong currents, but less likely to cut yourself. Second, I am not sure that more blood in the water is what you really want in a shark situation. Finally, a knife strapped to you is a point of potential entanglement. For a surfer I would hate to think of their leash getting hooked around the knife after they take a spill. Most divers now keep their knives (if they use them) in a BC pocket or clipped to the underside of their gauges. Much less potential for it getting in the way. Not sure there is really any way for surfer to keep a knife truly out of the way when not needed.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

Thanks David Z for your explanation.

I used to carry one when I was a white water kayaker (to cut rope, etc).

I tend to ask "why not" questions a lot?

Even now I am thinking surfers (at least the one who want to) could some how be equipped with some defense in life and death situations like this.

8. Re: Surfer fights off shark at Pilaa Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:18