We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay??

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay??

I will be traveling to Kauai with my parents and sister. My dad has limited mobility and we would like a condo. This trip is mostly tour guiding our parents around so I though a resort with some activities/views would be great. Views, pool and beach would be nice. Elevator or ground floor access would be convenient but not necessary. We will be there for 9 days. I was looking at Hanalei Bay Resort, Sealodge (dad won't be able to get to beach but we could visit others), Kiahuna Plantation, Kauai Beach Resort. Should be split the stay between north and south? Other ideas on where to stay? It would be good for my sister and I to have stuff to entertain ourselves if my dad need to go for naps....

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay??

Please tell us when you are going...

Since I know the most about Hanalei Bay Resort I can help you there.

If you have mobility issues with a family member, you will need to look into a ground floor in the 3000 building (all studios) or have the golf attendant drive you around the resort to the other buildings. There are no cars allowed on the paths. The 3000 building has fabulous views, is close to the pool and parking. I would check out 3105-6. If your dad can handle a 2nd floor then look at Parrish Realty and 3201-2. It is beautiful. If you need something bigger I can recommend a 2 bedroom, ground floor unit with bay views. There are no elevators except going down from the lobby to the pool area. The golf cart attendants can take your father down to Puu Poa Beach. If dad needs a nap and you need something to do, there are activities like zipline, golf, mini golf, scuba lessons, stand up paddle boarding within a few minutes of HBR. They have a tennis program with 8 courts. Kiahuna Plantation does not have a pool. It is a lovely property in Poipu with a great beach. I was going to recommend Kuhio Shores for the views but again no pool. Sealodge for 3 people is too small in my opinion. Kauai Beach Resort is isolated. That's a hotel but they have villa style condos you can rent. That location would be last on my list.

So the biggest question is WHEN!!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay??

Do you have a budget in mind? In Poipu, Nihi Kai Villas has 2 3-bedroom units that are all one level (I prefer unit #101). There is a nice heated pool and great ocean views. Also, the units at Koloa Landing all have personal elevators to get to your unit. This complex is brand new (still some construction on the east side). But if you book a condo in the west side, the construction should not be an issue. 2 very nice pools and ocean views.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay??

We are going at the end of March and there will be 4 of us. Our trip is 11 days long but my parents are thinking about visiting a second island in that time.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay??

So are you looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit? Would you share a bedroom with your sister?

California
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay??

In March, I'd stay on the South Shore. Look for a 2 bedroom at Nihi Kai or Poipu Kapili.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 18:12
California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay??

See big difference as to when you are going.

Though the end of March is usually getting into better weather on the North Shore, I agree to concentrate on accommodations south. One place you might find a good deal is at The Point. There are some good deals there. Koloa Landing is beautiful and expensive. Poipu Kapili should be investigated and they are large, updated and very nice condos. Poipu Shores has a pool, views and some units have easy access. If you like the sounds of the crashing waves, check that place out.

If you have 11 days on Kauai alone, then sure split a stay. I would say a week in Poipu and 3 nights North Shore to get a taste of its beauty. You will avoid the driving back and forth and trust me you will be visiting this area of the island lots.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay??

Even on the ground floors of Sealodge, your Dad could have some problems.. I might use a realty office and give them your specifics. They could be very helpful.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay??

Hey there Winnipeg...

Can you quote a nightly accommodation budget in $USD....Do you want a 2 or 3 bedroom unit?

Have your parents travelled to Hawaii before? 11 days you say...is that 10 nights?

Depending on your Father's level of mobility, you may want to consider one Island for a 10 night time period. Most of one day can be taken up with Inter-Island travel, checking out ...waiting to check-in etc.

Some condo complexes have minimum stay requiremets. A 10 night stay might yield some owner discounts as well. A 5 night car rental is usually about the same as a weekly rate.....so staying on Island can have it's advantages.

You are travelling a good distance....and it does take a day or two to turn around. Hawaii is rather popular at that time of year and desirable lodging is often snapped up a year in advance. I would recommend making a selection before too too long.

I would recommend the South Shore during your March visit....Poipu Kapili has lovely spacious units with Ocean views. Kiahuna units are significantly smaller, and their pool facility has closed recently. If the budget allows Kooa Landing is top notch......ground floor units plus elevators in every building.

For those with mobility issue, I would be hard pressed to reccommend Poipu Shores due to the extremely steep grade in their parking lot, or Makahuena....due to the endless flights of stairs throughout the property. There is a ramp along the side of the property ...though again considered steep by many.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay??

Budget - good question, parents are footing the bill. They were on Oahu and Maui probably 20 - 30 years ago... I have been to Kauai and would prefer only one island but I am just the taxi driver. A 2 bedroom will be sufficient. I will check into some of these and plan to book soon. Thanks for all the help.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,618 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay??

I'd try very hard to limit the trip to one island. Adding interisland flights will be an extra hassle for someone with limited mobility. You could certainly split a Kaua`i visit north and south. North weather is a bit iffy, but it could well be beautiful.