We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

New Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

thanks for everyones advice. I have narrowed it down to these two mainly because of location. Can anyone recommend one versus the other? we are a group of 5 so the difference in price between the two is pretty significant

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

you did not mention the time of year, and that is improtant for being able to go into the sea caves and snorkel at nualolo kai.

The main difference is that holo holo is a sailing catamaran and you should get in some sailing on the way back to port allen harbor. They have a mast, so no sea caves.

Napali Catamaran is a motor vessel, that goes into the sea caves.

Both are great companies, however, no shade on Napali Catamaran, and depending on the time of year thast might not be any big deal. Wear a hat with a chin strap.

Napali Catamaran apparently goes out of the north shore for a four hour trip, They get all kinds of raves, as does holo holo.

We have been with holo, and most every catamaran company out of the west side harbors, and they were excellent as were all 13 of our napali trips.

California
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

I think you mean Holo Holo's rigid inflatable not the sailing vessel mentioned by Denny?

I've done both and I like both, but am giving the edge to Holo Holo. Its a bit more fun, I loved the crew and there's a canopy for shade which was a big deal for me. Both only go out from late April to Oct for the North Shore.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 22:34
New Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

Yes, I was referring to the rigid inflatable. We will be there in mid June and staying at the North Shore. These two seemed to be the best ones leaving from hanalei

California
Level Contributor
9,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

We've also done both, and, like jebett, I'd have to give the edge to Holo Holo. I like the way the seats face forward. My grandsons said they like Holo Holo better, too, but really you can't go wrong with either. If there's a significant difference in price, I'd go with the least expensive.

California
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

Perfect time to enjoy this activity. I would book with Holo Holo. I can't wait to do it again next May.

I have some tricks to share.

1. Arrive on time at the check in area if not early. They will drive you in a van from Hanalei to the river where you get ferried out to the boat and it takes 3 trips. You do not want to be the last one on. The downside to this is you wait on the boat for everyone else. Bring a book! I would sit close to the entrance ramp so you are first off the boat when you get back. I was so ready to get off (tired not sick) but I sat in the very back thus last off.

central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

Definitely Holo Holo ! Also be the first to board as jebett points out, and sit on the left hand side. The photo opportunities will be better on the calmer ride out. Also be careful where you rest your feet, there is aluminum support strapping with rivets at ankle level, and this can tear up you bear ankle quickly. Don't forget additional batteries and memory cards for your camera preferably with a polarizing lens. They provide you with a good size dry bag for your stuff. Beach towel, hat, sunglasses etc......

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

I absolutely know that holo holo catamarans go out of port allen, I just did a horrible job of writing that at 4:30am or so this morning.

In fact I interviewed for a skipper's job with them many years ago, and they had me go out for no charge to see what their napali tour entailed. I actually meant to include holo on all of the west side boats that we had been on Napali Tours with.

that includes

Capt. Andy

Southern Star

Holo Holo

Blue Dolphin

Kauai Fun

Liko Kauai Cruises

Kauai Explorer

Some several times and some out of port allen and others out of kikiaola small boat harbor.

so, I have actually met the owner of holo, holo, and also was friends of their daughter who worked at the feral pig before it was the ferral pig. Quite a unique young lady who has done some very long distance sailing with her folks and is now living on Oahu. I also run into thier skipper who I sailed with around the island every once in a while. .

So, thanks for calling that to my attention, my bad, and when I re read it a few minutes ago, I saw that I had errored and then read Jbetts post. Joan was right on correcting my blunder.

Holo holo's catamarans are definitely out of Port Allen.

Mahalo , Jbett

Denny

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

I haven't done Holo Holo in awhile... but we did Napali Cat in August... and it was wonderful... actually if you sit near the front you will have some shade as the shade over the driver will extend a bit... the guys were super professional, going into the sea caves was awesome, and felt it was a much calmer ride (on the way back) then on a rigid hull inflatable--still bumpy but my 9 year old crashed out and slept the whole way, which tells you something.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

Thanks so much for your help and advice! I called Holo Holo to book. They aren't taking reservations for next summer till March but its in my calendar. Can't wait!

California
Level Contributor
9,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Na Pali Catamaran versus Holo Holo

You save $15 per person if you book the Holo Holo tour online. holoholokauaiboattours.com/kauai_boat_tours/…

As I recall, the canopy is only up when they stop for snorkeling and lunch.