We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Well, apparently I am incapable of producing a trip report blog in fewer than 30 days... it was a month ago today that we landed at DEN, already dreading the return to "real life" and making plans for the next trip.

I got a little obsessed with getting the details right – plus life just got in the way (according to my professor, grad school papers are more important than vacation blogs). I also discovered ipiccy.com which is a free resource for creating photo collages (I may have gone a wee bit collage crazy - you tell me). I still need to add captions to the photos in the albums, but I'll get to that eventually.

We had the most amazing trip – DH declared it the best yet, though I qualify that to "best trip with kids." The boys had so much fun and have been "playing Hawaii" with a little plastic palm tree ever since. We spent the first five days at Papio Place in Hanalei, which we just loved. It was an easy walk to the beach, a quick stroll into town, and the perfect size for all of us.

We invited my mid-20s stepsister and her boyfriend to come with us ("buying" their tickets with airline miles) to help corral and entertain the children (whom I affectionately refer to as “my little monsters”). They were great to travel with – they didn’t have much of a pre-planned agenda so were happy to go along with us or do their own thing.

Because we've been to Kauai before, we've done a lot of the touristy things already and were able to just take it easy. It rained pretty hard a couple of days in Hanalei, but we just used it as an excuse to relax on the lanai without freaking out that our day's agenda was ruined. I even forgot to bring the rough agenda I had put together, so we just winged it.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu the last two nights, which was AMAZING. We spent all our time at the saltwater lagoon and the boys had a blast. Moving from a house to a hotel room was a little rough and I wouldn't want to do it for more than two nights, but it was worth it for that crazy pool.

I'm already plotting a return for late 2014 - we really loved Baby Beach so I'm looking at renting Lanai Beach House on Ho'ona Rd and then moving up to Hanalei Bay Resort for four or five days. Of course, DH keeps reminding me of all the house projects I keep pointing out to him and says I have to choose, but I'm just gonna keep on collecting airline miles for our eventual return to paradise!

Anywhoooooooo - here it is: http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

I was just telling my husband how much I loved the way your rental looked. I showed him your blog this morning since we traveling with a 4 year old and I love your activities with kids page. :) Thanks for sharing!

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

<<Of course, DH keeps reminding me of all the house projects I keep pointing out to him and says I have to choose, but I'm just gonna keep on collecting airline miles for our eventual return to paradise!>>

Your husband annoys me.... :-)

A trip report a month late is better than no trip report at all... Mahalo.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

MrsSandro, it was definitely easier to travel with preschoolers than our previous trips with infants. My best piece of advice - go to Costco and buy the $12 bucket-o-sand toys. It was worth every penny and my boys played with it every day, even in the yard at the rental house. Jack was really upset when I gave it to another family at the Hyatt as we were leaving, but I promised him we'd buy another when we go back.

Jebett, my husband annoys me too, but seeing as we unfortunately spend more time in our house than on Kauai, I would like to spiff it up a bit (oh, and we'll be decorating the back yard with tiki torches next summer according to Ryan).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Thanks for the tip! We are for sure loading up Costco. We are coming with a family of 6 and staying in Poipu.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The singer you enjoyed at Seaview Terrace at the Grand Hyatt is a good friend of mine, Darryl Gonzales, who also plays up at Tahiti Nui in Hanalei (in fact he was in "The Descendants" movie in the Nui scene)....he is a wonderful musician and guy and plays for Leilani on the nights that she teaches hula (Mondays and Wednesdays).....he has a new CD by the way as well, that is really great if you enjoy his music.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Yes, Janet, he was amazing. I wanted to buy his CD but we didn't have our wallets (that whole "charge to the room" thing!). I would have liked to stay for his whole set but the kids were getting a little nuts. We probably "heard" him playing at Tahiti Nui from our rental in Hanalei too!

Please pass on my compliments the next time you see him - my oldest is obsessed with guitars and he was so excited to watch and hear Darryl play.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Really enjoyed your TR. You have me investigating geocache apps. 😊

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

I'm only up to Day 5, but love it. I hope you have several of the "nude" photos of the boys, I do of my two boys when they were little - now 39 & 42, not to mention the grandson, now 21! Perfect for blackmail!

3Chihuahuas

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

Love your blog. I met you guys at Kunana Dairy...your boys have grown so much! Such a fun age, and I have those blackmail shots of my son too ;)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Sept 24 - Oct 1 with a 3 and almost-5 year old

<<Perfect for blackmail!>>

LOL!!! I have a ton of these shots, most of them taken in Kauai. My now 14 year old loved to run around naked on Baby's Beach.