We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Hello TA Community,

We are a group of 9 in their late 20s/early 30s traveling to Kauai in mid-January. We've rented a house outside of Kapaa and will have 2 cars to travel around the island.

We are aware that this is not a nightlife island, so do not expect any wild times (we're starting to feel older than that anyway...) however, we still enjoy sharing delicious cocktails, good beers, and ridiculous fruity blended drink concoctions, because that's a solid part of a vacation, no?

So, I'm asking for recommendations for bars (not necessarily at night), big enough to fit a table of 9? Any with particularly great views/drinks/live music/etc?

Thanks in advance, I've had great luck with these forums and appreciate the wisdom :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Tahiti Nui in Hanalei makes some of the best drinks on Kaua‘i and reasonable prices too. $7.95 for a Killer Mai Tai. Live entertainment from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Get there early so you can get a table.

http://thenui.com/

The Tavern in Princeville has a great Happy Hour - one hour only 4-5pm...good drink specials and food. Gorgeous view out across the golf course. Getting a table should not be a problem.

Duke's in Lihue, the Barefoot Bar....looks out to Kalapaki Bay. They have a good Aloha Hour 4-6pm. http://www.dukeskauai.com/menus/barefoot-bar

Keoki's Paradise in Poi‘pu. Love, love, love Aloha Hour. 3-5pm - the calamari is to die for and the beers not bad either.

www.keokisparadise.com/menus/bamboo-bar

3Chihuahuas

http://tavernbyroy.com/

Edited: 07 November 2013, 01:28
California
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Kintaro's in Kapa'a is a fun place to go with a group. Make reservations for the tepanyaki--you'll have a great time!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

If we were staying in Kapa'a, and planning on having drinks with friends, we would not be driving up north , or down to Lihue. We would keep the party close to home. Now that is us, and by no means is meant to deter your fun and frolic on other shores.

At your age, I would have been in the midst of good times, and would have selected:

TREES......in south Kapa'a behind the Coconut market place, and later on , After 8 pm, they have live music, and dancing and partying. Before that they have a happy hour band that starts about 5 pm. Great spot, loads of fun, good drinks, great owners, and a young crowd in your age bracket. Check out their website for their nightly entertainment schedule as your trip gets closer. Trees lounge, Kapa'a, Kauai.

OLYMPIC CAFE......good party atmoshpere, open air upstairs in central Kapa'a Town. No music, but fun attitude, and they will push tables together for you and the party light will be lit. Excellent drinks and all those blended tropical creations that the visitor slug down. It will be a good time. Great fun staff and service and excellent food at reasonable prices.

Like I mentioned, if we were young and going to party and were staying in or around kapa's the above would be where we would go to party. And not have any long drives especially at night.

Have a grand ol time....partying is encouraged at the above suggested watering holes/restaurants.

Okole Maluna

Denny

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Trees Lounge for sure.

Go to Courtyard By Marriott, order drinks and sit outside at their firepit. NICE!!!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Trees

Olympic Cafe

Kapa`a Cafe - It's brand new, and I've not been there yet but it may be worth a try.

Oasis

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
669 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

kalapaki joes

Olympic café

trees

but nightlife on Kauai is not great

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

As well, it's always fun to go to Duke's Barefoot Bar right on Kalapaki Bay. TA-times there are always fun! We love to be there during HH and stay until dark when the tiki lights look fantastic. Good food, too, but getting pricey.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll be the one to say it......if you do plan a night out of drinking and fun......please have a designated driver who can drive you home safely and sober.

Lots of fatal accidents here on island caused by alcohol (both visitors and residents).

Stay safe.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

Thanks all, these are really great!

And no worries Janet, we value our lives and the lives of others, so no drunk driving happening with us :)

10. Re: Great bars/restaurants for a group?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:19