We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental for $260?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental for $260?

Hi everyone!

I will be visiting Kauai for the 1st time next year and I am starting to look for pricing for our activities. I came across advantage rent a car in LIH and they are quoting me $260 for a Chevrolet Captiva which looks like a crossover SUV. Their price is cheaper all around, everyone else quoted in the mid to high 300's for the full week we would use the car (Sunday - Sunday). I yelped them and the reviews were extremely mixed. Many 1 stars and then a bunch of 4-5 stars, so I'm really torn as to believe that they wont rip me off at the first chance they get. We will be on our honeymoon in December 2014; so maybe it is still really early to book cars and that is why the price is so high, but I'm not sure. We are hoping for as little drama and stress while we enjoy being newlyweds. I'm hoping those of you who are lucky enough to have either traveled or live in Kauai can help a new traveler who practically grew up in Waikiki (and thus have the knowledge of what to expect there) transition into the Kauai way of life. :)

Thank you for any help you can give!

Aloha!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental for $260?

That's a good price. I'd reserve it and continue to search, as long as they don't bill you right away.

California
Level Contributor
39,721 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental for $260?

This is a new rental agency on Kauai. Hawaii Discount Car Rental has a contract with them and the lowest rates are coming from there.

When you see reviews, take out the high and take out the low. That's usually can tell you something.

I agree with the previous post and go ahead and book it.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental for $260?

The price is reasonable for December. However, I would still check out Hawaii Discount Car Rental just in case.

Also, if you have tickets already I would go ahead and book as soon as you are able. Prices go up 40% + throughout the year.

Example was a mini van for 18 days...$1100 (booked in early Feb) is $1800.00. I am glad we booked early.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 21:36
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental for $260?

Thank you so much for the help! Luckily it is a "book now pay later" so I'm looking into the cancelation process just in case we find a better deal.

@MrsSandro; tickets for what exactly? We haven't been able to shop for flights just yet because it is 12+ months out and they aren't available yet.

Thanks again for the info!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental for $260?

I am talking airline tickets.

I feel we got a fair deal on tickets. When I went in September a few years ago we paid $650 per ticket. Our December tickets where $925 pp 12/18-12/29 We bought super early. Now they are about $150-200 more pp. We had a party of 5 so this is a lot of extra money.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental for $260?

Only book a courtesy non pre-pay hold with whomever you select.

Personally, I would only go with the tried and true Majors....Avis, Alamo, Budget, National, Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty.....

You are really quite early for Dec 2014....if it is for the Christmas/NY time period...you do need to book early but you have some time. Usually a year out, again non pre-pay....then continue to check back. There are slew of discount codes out there that you can apply.... unless it is entirely courtesy, I'd wait.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental for $260?

I've booked with Advanrtage Rent a Car in other cities on the mainland and saved a lot of money. It's a fine operation in my book. The only disadvantage was they aren't onsite at the airports; a van had to take us to their outlying location. But this is how they save them and you money. It's probably the same at Lihue but in comparison to major mainland airports the distance you have to travel to get to the offsite rental companies is far less, maybe a 5 minute ride only.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 00:25
Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,122 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental for $260?

BTW, it's Discount Hawaii Car Rental - www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental for $260?

If you're not traveling over Xmas/NY, I would book with the majors (we use Alamo or Budget) and keep checking back. I booked our Sept 13 rental through Costcotravel.com back in April for almost $400 (for a Nissan Altima) but I kept checking back and rebooking when the price dropped - our final price was $145 for 7 days.

If you are traveling over Xmas/NY I would take the cheapest price I could find - it's unlikely to drop.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental for $260?

Advantage is owned by Hertz...

Edited: 13 November 2013, 04:50