We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai chicken report

Bolivia, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai chicken report

This is a post for a few people that have an aversion or phobia of chickens and/or birds. I struggle with being in close proximity (about 20 feet) to any bird or chicken but decided to stay on Kauai for a week. Basically i am terrified of a bird touching me. I knew what I was getting into after having visited the island as a cruise port. I have managed to enjoy the island and do everything I wanted with a few exceptions. I avoid eating outdoors during the day or areas where others are eating. I stayed at the St. Regis and the open windows and doors allow for small birds to come in the main areas and even down the hallway do my room. The St.Regis beach area has a couple of chickens that frequent the beach chairs. The start of the na pali coast hike was stressful getting though the parking lot and a short area in the hike but with the help of my husband I was able to get by that area and hike. So the beauty of the island was worth being confronted with my phobia on a persistent basis but you will be challenged if you have a problem similar to mine. A supportive loved one and realistic expectations helps. I'm glad I didn't let it control me and managed to tour the entire island and did not feel I missed anything.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai chicken report

Aloha,

They are prolific.

I'm glad you overcame.

You might find the "Chicken's Paradise" thread interesting.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai chicken report

Congratulations on not letting your phobia stand in the way of visiting a really great island!

Bolivia, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai chicken report

Very interesting. Thanks for the post and recommendation.

California
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai chicken report

Overcoming fears is difficult. I am glad you put your fears aside so you could experience the beauty of the islands. Sometimes fears are unrealistic. I hope you found that to be the case and now you can enjoy the beauty of the birds. I have a lovely red cardinal on my lanai right now. They are so pretty.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai chicken report

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm glad to hear that you managed your phobia well while you were here.....finding someplace without birds and/or chickens would be difficult indeed, and Kaua'i is well known for our feral chickens.

I'm glad you had a good time here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai chicken report

It is really great that you were able to grit your teeth and come through the worst of your fears to enjoy the wonderful island! I'm grateful that my phobia critter (snakes) mostly prefer to remain invisible so I can play the "out of sight, out of mind" game with myself. I have no idea what I would do if I had your phobia which is with a critter far more visible, active and prevalent.

Congratulations on your success! (And kudos to your honey for being so supportive.)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai chicken report

I don't have a phobia of birds, but I no longer find Kauai's aggressive chickens as cute as on our first visit. After one of the dastardly beasts grabbed a piece of sandwich right out of my 4 year old's hand at Ke'e beach we learned to keep our "chicken noodles" handy - large pool noodles waved menacingly managed to keep the poultry at bay. Here we're deploying them as a barrier at Poipu Beach: http://tinyurl.com/lk7ah2n

While I try to teach my kids to respect all creatures, I did encourage them to yell "GIT! GIT!" (in their best impression of my Missouri accent) to preserve our lunch.

I was also highly annoyed by the little birds who swooped in to steal crumbs from our breakfast muffins at Seaview Terrace at the Grand Hyatt (in the "inside" seating area, which is not exactly enclosed).

Anyway, I'm obviously not annoyed enough to stop visiting Kauai, and it's great that you were able to enjoy the island too (sounds like you did your research before hand, which is always a good thing!).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai chicken report

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"I was also highly annoyed by the little birds who swooped in to steal crumbs from our breakfast muffins at Seaview Terrace at the Grand Hyatt (in the "inside" seating area, which is not exactly enclosed). "

During times of the year when we do torchlighting at Seaview Terrace and it isn't quite dark yet, I

have a front row seat on stage watching the little sparrows dart in and out of the audience. I love those smart little guys, who never stay for longer than necessary to grab the crumb they are going after. Most visitors seem to find them fun to watch, certainly the keiki in the audience do!

People need to remember that this is a tropical island, and open air seating for restaurants is the norm. You will be sharing your environment with geckos, sparrows and at some of the more casual spots, the occasional chicken and possibly a cat.

I'll just say again, if they bother you because they are aggressive, it is entirely due to people feeding them. I live with green areas all around me and chickens are all around me, none of them bother any of the tenants in this way because none of us feed them. They just do their chicken thing and eat bugs, fallen mangos, etc. and raise their chicks.

Do not feed the birds......as you can see, what you find charming, other people do not and will take it out on the wildlife that have become accustomed to being fed by visitors.

I am entirely with "Shantybob's" wife, who gets distressed when people chase mother hens and the chicks...separating them and making for very sad endings some of the time. That is beyond distressing and is the one time that I'll step out of my comfort zone and ask parents to please not separate the little families.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai chicken report

Travel 2 live well, You should be proud of yourself. Thanks for posting.

Janet this story is for you. Mrs. S. was coming back from her walk and a neighbor was walking his dog, All of a sudden a hen came flying at the dog, clucking loudly and acting like she had a broken wing. Our neighbor said there was a tiny chick beside the road and the hen was obviously trying to keep the dog away from the baby and fixed on her. The hen must have flown at the dog four or five times. Our neighbor moved his dog along. We later saw the hen and about 6 tiny chicks. Having seen that, I can only imagine how distressing it is for them to lose a chick or all of them.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai chicken report

All of God's creatures love their children. :)