We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

Hello,

Please send your advice. We are taking one of our last family vacations before our daughter goes away to college. So I am looking for where to stay with my husband and our 21y.o. son and 17 y.o. daughter. My husband and kids LOVE the whole hotel/resort vibe. But we need space (tall family) and a some type of kitchen amenities,(kids are picky eaters). I was considering the Waupouli Beach Resort, but know that the Kapaa location isn't considered ideal. I figure we can get the hotel vibe, save some $ and be central on the island.

Can anyone suggest some other ideas that have a better location with same amenities?

I've done my homework on WBR and know which units to get. I am only waivering on going thru direct owner or Outrigger.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

California
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

1. I would go owner direct because you will know what unit you get. There is one rental company that has some nice units. Kauai Calls.

2. Personally I wouldn't choose this location, but if you like WBR then its the nicest place to stay in Kapaa.

3. For that time of the year I would choose the North Shore. You could check into Westin Princeville or Hanalei Bay Resort (rent through a private owner only like at WBR to know what you get).

3. Another option is in Poipu and that's Koloa Landing. Beautiful new units, larger than WBR and close to beaches.

WBR is really not going to give you the hotel vibe. If you really want that, consider a condo for 5-7 days and the last days stay at The Grand Hyatt. North Shore first. Hyatt the last few days.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

We were in Kauai last month, just my husband and myself but want to take our 4 kids back ages 14-21. And I was just saying to my husband where do you think the kids would like best. We thought they would like Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club the best. On the beach, with access to surfing, paddleboarding, snorkeling right there. 2 bedroom, kitchen. Pool, pool bar etc.. Even though I thought Kola Landing units looked much nicer. being right there on a beach where you can do all the above and not get in the car and travel would probably be great for us. Still deciding ourselves, but we are not going til June 2015. Good Luck.

California
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

Beach Club are timeshares. If you rent through Marriott you pay huge bucks. Find someone wanting to sell you their week. Craigslist, Redweek etc are where to look. That's a really good suggestion gogiants.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

@jebett - Yes, I would go through redweek to get a unit. Big difference in price.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

I will second Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, particularly with your adult kids. It is a modern, stylish resort, fantastic location, walk to restos and shopping, and there should be peers for them to hang out with. I am not a fan of WBR/its location and the North Shore condos, while lovely, will not provide a resort vibe. I also do not care for the Koloa Landing set-up. It is just too sterile looking. There are also timeshare units with full amenities at the Marriott in Lihue. I have no idea how to go about securing a reservation there but that would be (almost) equally fantastic to the Waiohai.

California
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

I respectfully disagree about Koloa Landing looking sterile. It has come a long way in a year and the gardens and trees are lovely. There is a big empty lot in front of it which isn't attractive, but I think for a non on the beach condo it is very nice and one option. My issue with Marriott is how crowded it gets around the pool especially with little kids. It is such a popular timeshare property especially during summer breaks but the young adults would have fun close to that beach, no doubt about that.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

We loved our stay at WBR. We rented through Kauai Calls and had E105. Being on the ground floor we have a nice green belt outside of the sliders, and parking was fairly close to the room. I'd avoid building D and anything too close to the pool for some peace and quiet. This unit does have a fire station diagonally across the street so you may hear the occasional siren. For space these units are awesome, and they have lots of spacious bathrooms for a family. We never experienced any bad traffic, but maybe we are just oblivious coming from the Silicon Valley. Stores and restaurants are very close and walkable.

kauaicalls.com/waipouli-beach-resort-e105/

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

Not all of us consider Kapaa a less than ideal location. It is a very good location for sightseeing all around the island and proximity to restaurants, groceries, etc. The beaches there, while beautiful, generally have rough surf. Not great for swimming. But WBR has a very nice pool. I would also recommend going through an owner.

California
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

WBR sounds like a good choice for you. A three bedroom at Koloa Landing would be a good option if you want to stay in Poipu area, but the cost is probably a lot more. koloalandingresort.com/villas-the-resort/

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in June, where to stay? Waupouli Beach Resort?

I also consider Kapaa a great location for getting all around the island, not to mention being close to shopping and good restaurants.