We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai: Weather

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai: Weather

How rainy is it East Coast and North Shore on Kaua'i early to mid-May?

I've read March and April are heavier in rain. . . but I can't find detailed info for May.

I'd like to do some hikes, as well as snorkel North Shore sites, and would like to go when it is not too hot.

I've already visited on Oct/Nov (rainy & higher surf) as well as our trip in Feb (high surf North Shore). Trails were very slippery at this time due to the rain.

That's why I am curious to find out about the beginning to mid-May.

Would appreciate any and all feedback.

THANKS - Mahalo!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai: Weather

I haven't been in May, but have heard it is great island wide and would love to go during that time because of the low visitor time and great weather. :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai: Weather

Here's some averages:

www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#kauai

Use this as a guide for ocean conditions once you are on-island:

www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/index.php

Here's a good weather site...predictions for more than a couple days out are pretty useless as weather can change fast:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 25 November 2013, 19:18
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,798 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai: Weather

May should be great island-wide. The north and east will be possibly a little rainier than the south and west, but it would be extremely unusual to have rain over the entire island. Most of the time it will be small trade showers that blow through.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai: Weather

Don't listen to those "averages". Kauai and the North Shore has mico-climates. Due to the mountain ranges, it can change the averages.

I have gone in May for 7 years in a row and looking forward to #8 in 2014. I love it. Of course you might get a down pour or two and it might last 5 minutes or 5 hours. That goes for island wide as well.

I love May for the reasons coalminer mentioned. Lower visitor count mid May and cooler temps. I hardly ever turn on my a/c except a few times in the afternoon. The ocean is calm, I have gone out on the boat tours out of Hanalei and the water is like glass, and even if there is a rain shower in the morning, it means a rainbow and sunshine is on the way. I highly recommend this time of the year.

(PS. I just got back from an end of Oct to mid Nov time on the island and except for 4 days (I was actually on Maui during that time) the weather was stellar. There would be one day of rough seas and the next calm as could be. It was fun to wake up each morning and see what mother nature had in store for us.)

Another nice time of the year is Sept. but its much, much warmer.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai: Weather

Wow. . . that's great and helpful info! Thanks so much!!!

6. Re: Kauai: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:17