We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

Hi, my wife and I will be attending a wedding in Honolulu at the end of Feb 2014 and would like to spend some time in Kauai before we need to hop on over to Oahu for the wedding. We're currently thinking about flying in on Feb 21 and staying 5 nights (flying to Oahu on Feb 26) and were wondering whether finding accommodations in Kapaa or Poipu would be preferable at that time of year. It seems like most people suggest those locales over the North shore given the chance of rain during that time. We're in our early/mid 30s with no kids and our goal is to spend most of our time exploring the island but based on what I've read here it seems most places are generally accessible and it's just a matter of how long the drive will be from wherever we choose to stay. We'd like to keep our hotel/condo budget under $250/night if possible but aren't tied to that cap. We also don't really have a preference in terms of hotel or condo. Any thoughts on the Courtyard Marriott at Coconut Beach (it came up as a recommendation from an acquaintance)?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

Poipu is where I would want to be in February(or any time for that matter) Weather is one Big reason......but for me just to be on the delightful shore is optimal.

Lots of options in your price range. One favorite is Poipu Kapili.

http://poipukapili.com/#sthash.ZZwiRMcC.dpbs

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,771 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

I've stayed at Courtyard and its fine if you really want to be in Kapaa. For $250 a night budget I would consider Marriott in Lihue instead, but Courtyard is actually ok. They redid the rooms (get an oceanfront) and they have a cool fire pit by the pool. Our oceanfront room was actually beautiful but you can't swim in this area. The currents are terrible. Be careful driving out onto the highway too.

I too would rather be in Poipu vs Kapaa, but if you are exploring and not wanting to have tons of beach time, then a hotel is fine in Kapaa. You have a better chance of sunnier skies in Poipu and traffic is a nightmare at times in Kapaa. For your budget you would only be able to afford a garden view room at The Sheraton. Feb is super busy in Poipu so finding a decent condo at popular places like Kuhio Shores or Poipu Kapili might be tough.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

If your exploring the island Kapaa or Lihue is where you want to be. I go to Kapaa any time of year. There are so many beautiful beaches your not just going to want to use just one anyway. I own at the Pono Kai and it makes a great place to be close to everything all over the island.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 18:14
Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

We would go with Jbett's suggestions. Our experience here on kauai is 12 years of visits and 7 years as residents.

For an actual central location on Kauai, mile marker zero, you might search the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach. It is one beautiful swimming beach, with all kinds of water activities. The pool is very large and winds around a center man made island. Along the border of the pool are five covered jacuzzi. Many walkable restaurants, and even a nice hike/walk up around Kauai Lagoons.

Very friendly, lots of aloha, and happy times.

Also, in the winter months, we agree with staying on the south shore at Poipu. We would select Poipu Kai Resort condos thru Suite Paradise ( prop. managers on site ). or Kiahuna Plantation condos actually on the beach, also in poipu.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
5. Re: Kapaa or Poipu in late Feb 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18