We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions

qld australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions

hi we are a family of six, {three generations} from Australia, planning a trip to Kauai, first trip to that part of the world. still in the planning stages, hoping to go during easter school holiday, 4th of april for two weeks, as we have my grandchildren aged 9 and 12. planning to fly in to Honolulu, stay there for a couple of nights then fly to Kauai for the rest of the time. the males of the group hate crowds and cities, I have found "the villas at poipu kai" for accomodation as it has three bedroom condos and it says there is surf out front of the resort. that is our main priority, surf, as four out of the six surf, including my grandchildren, they are competent surfers, but not for the big stuff, whereas my partner and son in law would want decent size waves. my daughter and I like snorkelling, swimming , shopping. so, to those of you familiar with the area, have I picked the right place to stay,as I would hate to travel all that way and not get a wave .we will also probably hire a car or mini van to get round, we have driven on the wrong side of the ride in other countries, so that's fine .any advise would be appreciated. thanks.

California
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions

If you are a surfing family, and don't want to get in a car to surf, you should look at condos at Kiahuna Plantation or Poipu Kapili. Villas at Poipu Kai are close(not in front) to a boogie boarding beach. KP and PK are also on or near snorkeling and within walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

qld australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions

Thank you for your quick response, but I'm a bit confused, I have found a castle kiahuna plantation resort on poipu Rd and an outrigger kiahuna plantation resort on poipu Rd, are they the same or two different places???

California
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions

They're the same; you can rent from either company or rent privately. I've rented from both of these owners.

www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com

www.condokauai.net

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions

Yes, the are two different property management companies for the same resort. You will be carrying boards and snorkel gear, and beach mats. towels, etc.........so Kiahuna will be much more pratical than Poipu Kai.

The villas at poipu kai are on the back side of the property, and you would need to load up your beach gear and boards and people and drive a couple of minutes to the beach. You may hear some surf sounds in the dead still of night, but you are not on a beach with the surf pounding. Wee bit of an exageration on the part of the villas.

I like the idea of Kiahuna Plantation. You can walk, wade, or snorkel along Kiahuna,s sandy beach to snorkel the reef at Poipu Beach Park. Easy, easy stuff. Always snorkel or swim with fins ). Also, the guys can paddle out to the break that is off the area of Kiahuna and the Sheraton .

If you are talking big surf 20 to 30 footers, you will not see that on the south shore, maybe some big waves will still be rolling in on the north shore, but it is getting toward the end of the winter surf big waves in April.

However, they will have some good surf on the south shore and you will be able to snorkel and enjoy the beach.

Kiahuna plantation is one of our favorites. Very nice property, but not sure what their max bedroom capacity is so do check that out.

Also, as usual, to make your trip planning and also be of great help while being here, order the ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK. ( kauai revealed)......www.hawaiirevealdwd.com. It is for active people who like to get out and explore the beautiful garden island of kauai.

Just FYI, we have been fortunate to have spend two seperate 30 day holiday visits in the marvelous land of OZ........and yes, we are heading back in 2015. We skippered sailing vessels in the Whitsundays, dove the great barrier reef and coral seal with live aboard dive boat, Spirit of Freedom, white water rafted the Tulley River, and had many addiional land adventures and met many wonderful fun loving people. Fanttastic.

Anyway, there is our added idea on Kiahuna Platation. We have not stayed there, we actually stayed for 12 years of visits at Poipu Kai.....but we have visited friends who were staying at Kiahuna, and really liked it.

We also loved poipu kai, and walked to poipu beach, but we traveled light with just snorkel gear and did not want to mess with finding a parking place. I believe the Villas are new and really very nice at Poipu Kai, but just wanted you to know that it wouild be a bit of trek to the beach with boards, and bags.

Welcome to Kauai

Cheers

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
35,817 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions

Some owners use one rental agency and some another.

Kiahuna's 2 bedrooms might be tight for 6 people.

Kauai is pretty much an island that you will want/need to rent a car. Use Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

In April there might still be waves on the south side or you can always take a day trip to Hanalei Bay where the waves will be a bit larger. I think your choice of staying in Poipu is good if you like to shop but shopping isn't great anywhere on the island. It is not like Maui or Oahu.

Poipu area is definately the busier/touristy area of the island.

qld australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions

Thank you Denny and Erica, food for thought, I'm glad you enjoyed your time in oz, next time make sure you visit my home town in Queensland,the sunshine coast, an hour north of Brisbane. It's beautiful. Anyway back to the topic, still debating between Maui and Kauai, I like to shop and eat, I don't surf, but I like to get out and about discovering things. We have gorgeous beaches here so that's not my main priority, might research a bit more compere the two islands, thank you.

7. Re: suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16