We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Anini swimmable in March?

DFW
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Is Anini swimmable in March?

We were there in mid-April last year and it was just fine. What about early March? I know the N. Shore beaches can be very rough in the Winter months....

LA
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Sure. It can be one of the few swimmable beaches when the north shore is rough. However, the water clarity tends to be poor for snorkeling and you have to stay away from the channels that exit the reef as they can have dangerous currents.

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Just be careful of the currents. I go to the very end of the road and its usually very nice. Hanalei Bay is good too. There are lifeguards there so always inquire.

LA
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

I find Aninni is swimmable even when Hanalei isn't.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Anini is pretty protected by its reef. It's the only true lagoon on the island. I've been swimming there in March. Go in the morning before the wind picks up around noon. And as noted, stay well away from the channels in the reef. Big pilikia (trouble).

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Where are the channels located at Anini?

We went last March and went close to the very end to the road and it was absolutely lovely! Though we didn't swim or really get in the water at all, it looked very calm and protected with bigger waves breaking out beyond the reef.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

There's a fairly large channel near the west end (far end of the road)...but there are others too...if you Google Earth Anini Beach, you can see some of the channels...the bigger the surf on the outer reef, the more water rushes into the inner reef area...that water will take the path of least resistance to get back out and it can move fast - you don't want to get caught in it.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 17 December 2013, 21:01
California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Check out the channnels here:

hawaiigaga.com/kauai/beaches/anini-beach.aspx

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

You really do need to be careful there in winter. It is not hard to spot the channels out to the cuts. What you don't want to do if just go off snorkeling and not pay attention to where you are. If the north shore surf is high, my advice would be to really stay completely away from the outer reef. I swim there on most visits in winter, but generally stay in water that I can stand in -- not hard to do there.

DFW
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Thanks for the responses.- I appreciate it. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Anini swimmable in March?

Even if water is shallow enough to stand in, a good current can take you down.