We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at the Beach House?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding at the Beach House?

Hi everyone,

We are planning a wedding in October in Hawaii and are thinking of the Beach House on Kauai based on the price, pictures, and the ease of using the same place for ceremony/reception. We estimate 60-80 people will attend. A 2011 post said it might not provide the intimate feel. Does anyone have any experience they can share? We are also open to other suggestions for wedding venues on Kauai or other islands.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

Outside of the Beach House is a very popular place to view sunsets and watch the surfers. Personally, I have seen many weddings there while having dinner or just walking by. Here's a video a wedding planner I know did at Beach House. I would not say that having a wedding outside of Beach House is intimate. It certainly is a beautiful location, but you will have many eyes viewing your big day.

http://vimeo.com/32300090

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

I've seen wedding at the Beach House too, and think it's a lovely setting for a wedding. Eyes will be on you where ever you get married, everyone likes to stop and watch for a bit. If you had the ceremony before the dinner crowd, you would not have the diners watching you.

Also see weddings when we stay at the Hyatt in Poipu. Lovely photos at Shipwreck Beach, or on one of the lawn areas at the Hyatt. You could have dinner outside or at one of the restaurants at the hotel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsK5cB5mgVk

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've actually worked at one or two weddings at the Beach House, sometimes the couple will hire people from our Halau Hula (hula school) to perform and sing at the ceremony on the lawn, both times I've done it the ceremony was geared to sunset, so we do a torchlighting ceremony as well.

They were beautiful affairs, but of course you have to "book" the entire place I believe....so...$$$$!!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

<<They were beautiful affairs, but of course you have to "book" the entire place I believe....so...$$$$!!!>>

I don't think you have to book the entire restaurant. We have been there many times during a wedding. They usually use the grassy area south of the main dining room and the reception is also right there. Not as private since many diners will be there, too.

Another place to check out would be Plantation Gardens. It's not an ocean view but a lovely garden setting that is very private. They have large doors on the west end of the dining room that make the reception much more private. We've seen lots of wedding there as well.

http://pgrestaurant.com/weddings

Edited: 18 December 2013, 19:35
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

I've viewed a few weddings at the Beachhouse. Most go for that sunset view. But of course that is when everyone else wants to be there too. Intimate? No way. Unless you rent the whole place. I would agree that Plantation Gardens would be a much more quiet, tranquil setting, or a more quiet beach location.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

I am getting married in Poipu next October as well. We were there this past October and dined at both the Beach House and Plantation Gardens among others, and have chosen Plantation Gardens as our reception site.

I know everyone will have varying opinions, but I thought the food at the Beach House was much worse than at Plantation Gardens. The location is superior - beach front with the sunset view. But there will be people everywhere and they will not be considerate. Just dining in the restaurant other diners would walk right up next to our table and take pictures of the sunset. The Beach House also seemed very loud while Plantation Gardens was more relaxed and intimate.

As far as the cost, you can rent out the whole restaurant for like $10k, but you can also just get the back lanai at the Beach House for like $2k.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

I think have made a wonderful choice with Plantation Gardens. Their food is wonderful and so are all the gardens! GOOD CHOICE!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

Even if you bought out the whole Beach House restaurant, I don't think you can keep the public from coming to the grassy area outside the restaurant for sunset viewing. Since that is a prime spot for watching the sunset, I'm betting there will be many people there. But if you go out on the lawn at sunset, I believe a good wedding photographer will be able to get great pictures of just you 2, or maybe even with some people blurred out or silhouetted in the background.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 02:44
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The area outside the Beach House where the grass and walkway is, is public....at least it is treated as such and people will bring their lawn chairs and sit on the perimeter as well as sitting on the beach wall....so not totally private for sure.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding at the Beach House?

Aloha Nancy, I've participated in many weddings at the Beach House. They will cordon off the lawn area for you, and while there will be people walking by before and after your wedding takes place, most folks are very considerate in not walking by during the wedding. With a guest list of 60-80 people, whether it feels intimate or not might not be so much the issue, as you will be surrounded by your own guests, far more than the dozen or so folks enjoying the view on that part of the lawn, outside the white chains designating your spot.

While smaller parties surely don't have to buy out the restaurant for the night, larger parties like yours might find it a good idea. Only the coordinator there can help you with that decision. I've done many more weddings at the Plantation Gardens, and some of the smaller weddings (under 40 guests) have bought out the entire restaurant for the evening, so it just depends on how intimate you want to make it, and what your budget is. You will have more privacy at the Botanical Gardens, but then you'd have to have transportation to the reception. So the convenience of an 'all in one" ceremony and reception location is excellent!

Have fun planning your wedding - and no matter where you choose to have it - it will seem magical - you'll see!