We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in March

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in March

Hello! My husband and I (we are both in our late 20s) are planning a trip to Hawaii in March. We are hoping to go to Kauai for about a week before we travel to the big island for a friend's wedding. We are looking for any recommendations on places to stay/things to do in Kauai and whether or not a certain side of the island is better in March because of rain. We have never been to Hawaii and love anything outdoors!

We are also wondering about flights - we are booking this trip ourselves (and kind of last minute!) so any advice would be great! We are flying from Boston and aren't sure if we should fly directly to Kauai first and then grab a flight to the big island for the wedding (if flying is the best way to go?) or if we should do a round-trip flight from the big island. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in March

Fly into HNL and then book interislands since you are flying into one island and out of another. There is no other way to get to The BI except fly. You will fly back into HNL and transfer planes. There are no ferries.

The concensus is to stay on the south side of the island in March for the better weather and ocean conditions. March has been known to be wet all over the island at times, but your odds are better to stay south.

Since you are new to Trip Advisor, I'll make some recommendations but please read the top questions to the right of your post. It will answer many questions you have about the island.

Do you want a hotel or condo? What is your budget? That will help us zero in on your choices. The hotels in Poipu are expensive. In Lihue or Kapaa they are cheaper, but its not as nice of a place to stay.

Check out some of these websites which will tell you about the island and what there is to do. Its a laid back, adventurous island with lots to do.

http://www.101thingstodo.com/kauai/

…about.com/od/…top-things-to-do-on-kauai.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in March

Thank you for the information!

We are looking for a hotel - preferably a Starwoods hotel since we have points available for us to use. Our budget for the entire trip with flights is around $6k (assuming we are able to use points for at least 5 nights accommodation).

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in March

Starwood? Stay at The Sheraton in Poipu and try to upgrade to an oceanview room. March is very busy in Poipu (many spring breaks for mainland families) so you might need a lot of points or there might not be anything left, but try that hotel first. The other Starwood property is Westin Princeville and St Regis on the North Shore which is lots and lots of points to stay there.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in March

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd also recommend the Sheraton Kaua'i here on the South Shore. It is located on one of the very best beaches on island and it is swimmable year round (always check daily ocean conditions whenever and wherever you go in however).......a great property with a knock out location!

I live here on the South Shore and March is somewhat "iffy" weatherwise, it can go either way, but your chances are much better here on this side for sun in March.

Malama Pono,

Janet

5. Re: Kauai in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 06:18