We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

This is the most active forum (along with Maui) so I am posting on both because this is a HUGE fear of mine on every vacation and I am curious about other's experiences- have you ever locked your rental car keys in the car and what did you do? And with all the snorkeling, has anyone gotten one of the new keys you can't get- well, wet? I would like to learn from your experiences....

Mine is this..... We were on the BI a few years ago and after dropping off my hubby at the golf course I went for a short snorkel with key in waterproof pouch, and 50 min later after getting out, I discovered that it was NOT in fact waterproof. I got back to the car and began hyperventilating a bit when I found the car did not beep with the "open" clicker. This was our departure day and while we had 7 hours to go, I did not see how we could have made this work with a call to the rental company for a tow or whatever they do- I was south of Kona and he was in the north part of the island..... I bapped the key on my towel, blew on it and waved it around in hopes to dry it off. I tried it again, and again no beep. I walked around to see if anyone had a phone (not sure who I would have called as hubby turns off the cell while on the course and the only numbers that would have helped me were in the glove compartment- sealed inside the car, but that is when I noticed another similar looking car a few down in the lot, and after a "could it be?" moment, I tried it and sure enough I got a beep, and an open car to lay down and bawl my head off in.

So- I still don't really know what you do with a locked in key or a wet key that actually does not work- would like to know just in case!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Hubby had his wallet and the car key in leg pocket of his board shorts while fishing.....got a snag and walked right into the water. I casually asked "You don't have the car key do you?"....you should have seen him run back to shore. I dried the key the best I could, left it in the sun...Voila! No problems, but I think we were very, very lucky.

As for locking the key in the car...AAA, we always bring our cards with us, thankfully, we've never needed to use them.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Wet bag or not, I would never go near the water with my car keys.

Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Oh yes, I have. I dropped my son and husband off at Puakea to golf and decided to drive North to Ke'e Beach. I stopped at the Wainiha general store in the rain to get a soda and my key got wet. The car wouldn't start and there is no cell service in this area, so of course I panicked. The very nice clerk in the store let me use the stores phone to call the car rental company, and they sent a tow truck. I sat there for 2 1/2 hours waiting, and then an hour drive back to the airport with the tow guy. My son and husband caught a ride from a fellow golfer to the car agency, and we got a new car. I will never get a car key wet again. HA!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,218 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

We've used Aquapac Keymasters for years and never had a problem with wet keys.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

You know, life is really pretty easy, and you can actually take the car key, and put it into the door lock , or the truck lock and turn it. They will open, and you can also lock up the car. Fobless.

And you can put the key into the ignition and turn it and the car will start. at least mine did.

If all that does not work, you can go to hardware store that makes keys, and give them your dead car key, it takes a special electronic key blank. This is not the fob, but the key alone. Runs about $ 80.00.....and they have a book that lists all the different keys for different cars. They can use your dead key to make a new key from their special electronic blank.

In my case , the battery in my key fob just died from old age. I just used the key like in the days before america became dependant on electronic toys......I no longer used the fob, I just used the key. It was no big deal.

But, then one day, walking home from the gym, somehow I had lost my dead key fob and the car key itself.

So, I used Erica's key and drove up to ACE HARDWARE in Lihue and had them make me a new key. No Fob

Oh, as to costs for a new fob, the dealer was going to slam it to me......so now I just use the car key itself...there was no crying, or laying down, or any of that....I just too care of it.

I did something else as well. I now keep my gym reader card on a separate dedicated key ring, and my car key on its dedicate key ring. So,when I walk over to the gym, the car key stays home.

Other than that, and taking nomal precautions, if you damage or lose the car key, the Rental Car Company is going to charge you for a new key and fob. And it will be extremly expensive. They use this ploy once in a while to get you to sign up for their full on added insurance which is a total rip off.

As far as electronic cruches like key fobs, cell phones, etc......we all need to keep them away from water. We all have a brain cramp once in a while. I took my cell up to our pool since I was expecting an important call. This was a couple of years ago. Well, I get up there, set down my book, and Erica and I go in swimming. I was in the water for about a minute or so, and remembered my phone was in the pocket of my board shorts.

DO NO TAKE A CELL PHONE SWIMMING.....the poor little thing will have a elecronic coronary thrombosi and drown. It was not a big deal.....after our pool time we drove over to Costco, and went to the cell phone booth. A new phone cost me two bucks since my old one was insured. Everythng was handled promptly and there was no stress involved.

The only advice that we can pass along, it to not take electronic things into water. At the beach I leave the car key in my old beater athletic shoes, along with my sunglasses. They go into the shoes as soon as we get to the beach.

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

So Denny....How can you "drive to Lihue" to get a key made when you can't get into your car? Some of the new cars don't have a key system any longer. They have this electronic device that you put in the ignition. My Audi doesn't have a key except the valet one which the rental companies don't give you. That is why there are signs all over the car and in your contract that if you get the electronic keys wet, you need to call the rental agency, they need to get a tow truck and come get you and you will pay big time for a new key, as you said.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

3Chi's and PTP8- that is exactly the kind of thing that I would do- think I am safe and have something happen like that! Reflexively jump in or walk in the rain...

I purchased the aqua bag from the snorkel rental place and that is the one that leaked. I bought one before coming to Kauai- a wet box- and just never used it for fear of getting the key wet anyway.

On the other post, a car was left running and it was freezing up at the top of the mountain and the wind blew the door shut leaving the guy out in the cold and no one nearby- had to break the window to get in. I can see that happening to me as well! Get out to have a test of the weather to see what you need to wear for the moment after putting the key in my backpack on the seat- will definitely keep that in mind!

thanks for the experiences as they are giving me tips for one of my biggest fears!

think I will always keep the rental agreement out of the car moving forward so I have the phone number where I can get access to it, and double or triple the protection for the key when driving to a snorkel area. Wish they had kept the good old fashioned keys where it didn't matter so much!

and 3Chi's- love your new (haven't been here for a bit so new to me) picture! :)

Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:03
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
805 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Every vehicle has a key cylinder somewhere - if the car's battery goes dead, you can push that little button all you want, it still won't unlock. If you do get the remote wet, the first thing to do is to NOT push the button! Moisture and circuit boards don't mix. You can disassemble it by taking the cover off that houses the battery, and dry it out as best as possible, or set it in the sun to dry. Once the circuit board is dry, it will work again.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

Water isn't the only problem. Sand is also. This happened to me. Sand was obviously on the key so when I inserted the key after leaving the beach the sand granules got inside the inner workings of the ignition or where you insert the key. The key wouldn't rotate to the right, it was stuck in position. Needed to call the rental company and this is how they explained it to me.

Make sure your hubby has his phone on when you split up and go in different directions. He could at least put it in the vibrate only mode. No golf game is too sacred to take an emergency call.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car key question- locked in or gotten wet?

The Altima we rented in September didn't have a key or ANYTHING to insert into the car - as long as you had the fob somewhere in the car, you just push the button near the steering column to start the engine. So, while I had to laugh at Denny's post, we would have been SOL if the fob didn't work.

On our very first trip to Kauai in 04 we went snorkeling at Lydgate. DH was heading back to the beach when I saw him dive under in the shallows and come up with a set of keys. "What kind of idiot takes their keys into the water with them?" he asked snidely. "Where are OUR keys?" I asked. Suddenly he got a sheepish look on his face and patted his board short pocket, only to realize that the keys were not in his pocket - in fact, they were the keys he had plucked out of the sand! Fortunately they had an actual real key on them with which we unlocked and started the car, and the fob dried out on its own.