We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

Hi, looking for suggestions on where to stay and see minimal amount of kids running around. We are in our 40's and enjoy beautiful beaches, sunsets, drinking at bars, and nice restaurants. I have been looking at The Villas at Poipu, Koa Kea, Grand Hyatt and the Sheraton.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

Koa Kea would be my first choice if you want a more "adult" type hotel. It sits right on a great beach (it's just to the right of the hotel) and it's very quiet. We had lunch at the pool bar last July and it was very nice. It's also centrally located to many restaurants and bars. There is a great formal restaurant and bar onsite. The Villas at Poipu Kai are condos, not a hotel. The Hyatt and Sheraton will have a ton of kids running around in August.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

Koa Kea for sure.

new york
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

My choice would be Btwn ko kea and Hyatt

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

Ok great. They are offering a free daily breakfast and $75 daily food and drink credit too. Just wasn't sure if we would tire of eating there everyday to enjoy the credit. The Hyatt looks so nice!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

$75.00 will probably pay for lunch and a couple of drinks at the hotel. You'll want to eat at Red Salt for dinner one night but you'll definitely want to explore the other restaurants in the Poipu area. We love the Hyatt but there will be a lot of families there in August.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

I'm torn. The Hyatt is offering a free breakfast and it's about $250 cheaper also. I'm not taking my kids on this trip so not sure I want to hear screaming kids lol!

California
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

I love the location of Koa Kea because it's on a great swimming beach, but doesn't the Hyatt have an adults' only pool?? I know it's a popular honeymoon destination, has a great spa, and several dining options. We've never stayed there but visit often in July; it's a large resort, and I've never felt like it's been overrun with kids; if that were the case, we probably wouldn't visit as often as we do. : )

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

The Hyatt does have an adult's only pool and it's usually very quiet up there. I prefer the Hyatt since it has a lot more going on. The Koa Kea is a small, boutique hotel on a great beach. Tough choice....

California
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

They are both so different from each other. Hyatt is a huge property and you will see lots of kids even if you hang at the adult only pool. Koa Kea is small and on a good stretch of beach. $75 credit will get you breakfast and a drink or two and that's it. It's service gets A+ ratings.

In August I would stay on the North Shore and at the St Regis.

The Villas is not a hotel.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel south Kauai for a 40's couple in August

All good choices. Keep in mind that the hotel with the least kids isn't necessarily the "best" hotel though. Many people would say the Hyatt is the best hotel of the 3 but in August it will be family central there. Ditto with the Sheraton. However at the Hyatt there is so much open space and private tucked away places on the grounds it's possible to enjoy your stay there without being plowed down by kids. There is also the adult's only pool area, a very nice spot.

The Koa Kea is not a family type resort. It's the one where you'll find the least amount of children. I personally find it over-priced for what you get in the rooms, the grounds, and amenities. The whole idea of it being "boutique, romantic, upscale", etc. is a good marketing job in my opinion.

The Villas at Poipu Kai aren't a hotel. They're privately owned condominiums. Large, beautiful , upscale and they have a very open feel to the outdoors. HUGE lanais that are incorporated into the living space. For just two people it's an awful lot of room though and again, this will be a family place in August.

You should try to make your stay towards the very end of August , or at least after the first two weeks. This will reduce the number of families / kids.

I agree with Jebett on the St. Regis. It's a great location in August and the St. Regis leans more adult , not as many children as the Hyatt.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 02:45