We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jam

washington state
Level Contributor
30 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
jam

my new hobby is making jam. We will be traveling to Kauai late this winter. what is your favorite local fruit to make jam with? any favorite local recipes?

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jam

You can't beat mango jam:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mango-jam/

new york
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jam

Check out the monkey pod lady at the farmers markets . She has great Jams made with local fruits . Then you'll have great ideas to go home with

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jam

Mango jam, lilikoi jam, pineapple papaya is good, too.

Are you bringing your jam making equipment with you and then the finished jam back in checked baggage? Just curious how this works with the agricultural restrictions on fresh fruit & liquids restrictions...

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jam

we had some locally made jam quite a while back that was given to us when our previous next door neighbors moved back to the mainland. Air traffic controler.

It was great, but I did not pay any attention as to who made it, but it was from kauai.

I love peanut butter and jam sandwiches, but the Admiral had me settle for the one jar due to blimping out like the hindenberg. The good thing was that I had the whole jar to myself, and a membership to the Kauai Athletic Club. Happy me, happy Erica.

With the other posters great scoops, the OP is in good hands.

California
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jam

Yes, check out Monkeypod's website; you'll get lots of good ideas. http://monkeypodjam.com/

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,784 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jam

Strawberry Guava. Regular guava is pretty darned good, too.

California
Level Contributor
37,025 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jam

Guava is my favorite but are you planning on making jam while in Hawaii because you can't bring fruits and veggies home.

washington state
Level Contributor
30 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jam

thanks everyone. My mouth is watering already. I am not sure if I will make jam while I am there or not. really doesn't take much equipment, could buy small jelly jars there and just use a good size pot to water bath, throwing a plastic funnel and ladle would not take up much weight, but would take up some weight in the checked bags on the way back. might just make a small batch while there and use fresh. I don't know but fun to think about. I might use some of the recipes after I get home (I know it is hard to bring fruit home) to remind me of the flavors of the island.

9. Re: jam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19