We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

Obviously, just being in and around Kauai's waters will be an amazing experience for my daughter who wants to be a marine biologist, but I'm wondering if there is anything else she can do or see. We always take time on our vacations to visit animal/beach sanctuaries, etc. Any volunteer opportunities that would allow her to help or learn?

California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

tripadvisor.com/…54444709 Take a look at the ideas posted here.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

You could do an intro SCUBA diving class with him! We thought about that for our 11 year old last summer but we ran out of time. I think he would have really enjoyed it! Not sure where you are staying but we did check out Seaport Divers Keiki Class.

http://www.seasportdivers.com/classes.html

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

Be sure to look for Monk Seals. They come in frequently at Po`ipu Beach, but check all beaches you visit.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

As a marine biologist, I always urge parents (and adults!) to check out www.reef.org. Tons of info & resources.

Take them snorkeling and have your child become a survey volunteer.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

Definitely go to the Kilauea Point National wildlife Refuge.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/kilauea_point/

Aside from being gorgeous, it's a great place to see whales in season, dolphins, monk seals, and many kinds of seabirds.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

Most of the volunteer requests are for beach clean ups, and net patrols.

I would think that she would be interested in the marine life and want to spend some time identifying corals, and many different species of fish, eels, etc.

Personally, i would want her to have a buddy snorkler, not swimming or snorkeling alone. If she takes a intro dive course, great suggestion, she will have a dive buddy assigned.Seasport divers is the clossest thing to a mainland dive shop, and shore and boat dives. Fathom Five is also excellent. Both to out of kukui'ula small boat habor for their boat dives. Both are in the poipu /Kolaoa area on the south shore.

For snorkeling, again with a snorkeling buddy......hopefully who has real experience and understands spotting currents, and ocean conditions.

South shore snorkeling :

Poipu Beach: Right side of the tombolo out on the reef.

Lawai Beach: A little more open, but the best snorkeling on the south shore

Neither are near river mouths and should not be a problem with contamination.

She can pick up a fish identifcation card..large plastic full color card , front and back with pictures of the local marine life that she can catogorize after snorkeling or diving.

Now, I am not sure if this company is still in biz, she can ask the conscierge or activities desk. There was a lady marine bilogist that had an inflatable rubber raft, who was excellent with super knowledge....I believe it was an eco tour type of experience that included snorkeling as well. If she is still around, this eco tour would be outstanding in relation to her interests. It would be quite a learning experience along the south shore......NOT SURE WHAT TIME OF YEAR THAT YOU ALL WILL BE HERE....

Getting some snorkeling and open ocean lessons is also a great idea, since she is serious about learning to do things correctly for her dream occupation. From what we see, everytime that we are snorkeling or just at a snorkeling beach, 85% of the snorklers do not know what they are doing.

Our attitude, no matter what we are doing, but especially in alien enviornments, we apprach it a professionally as possible, and that starts with proper fitting of all snorkel gear, looking at the conditions, proper entry, safe entry place ( white sand not over rocky or reef areas), proper way and time to put on fins, how to check the current once in the water, how to fin properly without the fins breaking the water, noting place of entry, and taking bearings on landmarks for your return, the list goes on and on.

The ocean is definitely and alien enviornment, and by learning professionalism and ocean safety from jump street will add to continuing on with her studies , training, and experience to enable her to properly reach her goals.

Erica and I have quite a bit of snorkeling and diving experience: ( PADI Certified divers)

Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea

Whitsunday Islands , Au

Tahiti, Tonga, Hawaiian islands

Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, French West Indies, and Windwards and Grenadines

Catalina Island

Just FYI to let you understand that we respect the ocean and her power and put everything in our favor to maintain safety and professionalism.

Best wishes for a very successful gaining of your daughters goals. When speaking to young people I ask them if they have a passion. Doesnt matter what it is. But , if they have a passion, learn , study and work toward that passion......and to be able to make a living at that passion how wonderful their life will be through all those working years. Loving what they have chosen as a career.

Also, a saying from a famous world ocean cruiser ( sailing vessels ) : " Don't dream you life, Live your dreams."

You daughter has a huge jump on life. Go for it, young lady !

Edited: 12 January 2014, 21:54
California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

How about her doing some reading on marine life in Hawaii.

http://www.kauai.com/lucidpublishing

Maybe take a eco tour:

http://www.kauaiseariders.com

There are also good organizations to have people learn about our coral which is an important part of marine biology.

http://www.kauaicoral.com

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

These are all excellent suggestions. Thanks so much, everyone.

9. Re: Activities for 12-year-old who adores marine life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18