We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Honeymoon in Kauai

Sacramento...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September Honeymoon in Kauai

Hi! My fiance and I are thinking of Kauai for our early September honeymoon, and I can't seem to find exactly what I (think) I am looking for, both for exact location on the island, or accommodations. If anyone has a suggestion or two that would be great!

We are usually pretty cheap on lodging so I think we're willing to spend a bit on our honeymoon (up to $400, but somewhere in the $200-$300 range would be nicer :))

We are looking to do a bunch of active things, specifically surfing (although we're not great) and would like to be able to have an oceanfront room where we can step outside our door and surf. Or lay on a lounge chair in the sand all day.

I think I prefer a hotel vs a condo/home just so I don't have to be bothered with much during the honeymoon. A room with a small kitchen would be great if we wanted to make our own breakfast or lunch, but I don't anticipate wanting to cook dinners during the honeymoon. It would be great if there was a small town within walking distance for said dinners as well!

Lastly, we definitely appreciate a more local style accommodation, rather than a big name hotel chain, but maybe these big name hotels are going to be our best bet for this laundry list of requests... Also - we prefer not staying in a family friendly hotel, as I would like to keep it a bit more relaxing.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Kauai Adventure Fitness
Lessons & Workshops, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Learn to Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Poipu Beach Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Nukumoi Surf Co.
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

I like being oceanfront, also. We split our time between a cottage on Hanalei Bay on the North Shore and a condo at Kiahuna Plantation on the South Shore. Kiahuna Plantation sits between the Sheraton and Koa Kea, so those hotels would also be a good option. You can surf at both areas in September. Take a look at the Old Style or Hanalei Moon Beach Cottage. www.beachkauai.com

Both locations are within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. In Sept., most kids should be back in school. : )

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

If you want ocean front, I really like the idea of Kiahuna Plantation, or Possibly the Sheraton Hotel. You will have to comprimise a bit for what you want. Personally we would select Kihauna Plantation, really nice amd pleasant , large green area, and some units right on the beach. Check them out on the web.

Both Kiahuna and the Sheraton are sort of next to each other on Poipu Beach. You will be able to walk , or drive one minute to shopping villages and restaurants. Actually there are restaurants on those property grounds.

Sufing is right out there, but you do have to paddle out to the break. The beach stretches from the Sheraton, and Kiahuna Plantation to Poipu Beach Park for snorkeling, and Brenneckes Beach for good boogie boarding. You can walk, wade, swim or snorkel all along that area.

Congratualtions

Denny

Edited: 15 January 2014, 14:43
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

These cottages are often recommended on the forum:

www.halemakaicottages.com/Cottage1.aspx

I think Kauai is a wonderful place for a honeymoon - congrats to you both! :)

California
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

I am so confused... You say this...

I think I prefer a hotel vs a condo/home just so I don't have to be bothered with much during the honeymoon. A room with a small kitchen would be great if we wanted to make our own breakfast or lunch, but I don't anticipate wanting to cook dinners during the honeymoon. It would be great if there was a small town within walking distance for said dinners as well!

It really sounds like you want a condo or cottage. Hotels don't have kitchens. Just because you rent a condo or cottage doesn't mean you have to cook. I never make dinners in the condo.

I agree about Hale Makai Cottages. Surfing right outside won't be possible and the surf will still be flat on the North Shore in Sept. A cottage in Hanalei would be my choice though.

In Poipu it sounds like you want Koa Kea. Sheraton will still have kids, even in Sept. and its a big chain. Koa Kea is small and intimate with great service. It is #1 for honeymooners.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

I was thinking the same thing coalminer, except there is no surfing off the beach at Hale Makai (at least not when we've been there in late summer).

On the beach in/near Hanalei would be an ideal location in September, but there are no hotels or condos, so a cottage would be your only lodging choice. I know you said you'd prefer a hotel, but I think the consensus here would be that you consider a condo or cottage as well. You'd appreciate having the space one affords, and just because you'd have a kitchen doesn't mean you'd have to use it (though I'd bet you would).

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
bwright1
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

How long are you going for? I would split time betweeen the Koa Kea in Poipu and a cottage in Hanalei on the North Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Sacramento...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

Thank you so much for the input and congratulations!

The split time bwright1 recommended might be nice, I did not even think it would be flat on the North Shore at that time. My only concern about the South Shore is that I have heard negative things about the crowds - not true? Also, Poipu waves should be good when we go?

Sorry for the confusion jebett - in my experience, staying at a hotel has usually been easier than a vacation rental because of the in-house amenities, and many hotels have suites with kitchenettes :) This way we can choose whether we want to cook or go out to eat. Koa Kea does look amazing, and I think perhaps splitting time between a hotel and cottage would be great. The cottages and condos that were recommended I will definitely be looking into!

Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

I am not familiar with hotels that have kitchenettes unless its a place like Westin or Marriott timeshares.

9. Re: September Honeymoon in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18