We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

S B
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

We are looking for hotels in Kauai that are similar to turtle bay resort in Oahu. We have never been to Hawaii and are looking at both options. Do you have a recommendation? Ideally we want to be away for the madness, spend quality time with our baby and relax on the beach for a week and have some good food without worrying about driving. Not sure if turtle bay resort in Oahu is better or a hotel in Kauai. Ideas?

Thanks,

SB

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,930 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

When are you coming? That makes a big difference . . . and if you don't want to drive at all, then Kauai isn't the island for you as you have to have a rental car to get around.

By the way, if you haven't been to Hawaii before, how do you know you want something like Turtle Bay - just like the looks?? :)

S B
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

@coalminer planning to go first week of May or end or April. How does that make a difference? Just heard that the turtle bay resort area is remote and not touristy. Don't know how good the beach is there? Also, prices for turtle bay are about $100 -200 cheaper than 5 stars in Kauai.. Thoughts?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

Please pick your island first then where you want to stay. There are places on each island that will fit your criteria. Prices are higher depending on what time of year you come. Fortunately you have picked a rather quiet time thus the prices are lower.

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

I'm not familiar with Turtle Bay, but if you want to be on a beautiful beach within walking distance to shops and restaurants, I'd look at the Sheraton, or if you think you might like a condo, check out Kiahuna Plantation right next to the Sheraton. You could stay at either location and be very happy. Another option might be to rent a cottage on Hanalei Bay.

S B
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

Does hanalei any have a good beach?

S B
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

Everyone says Oahu is a busy place unless you go towards north shore where turtle bay resort is... Coming from NY we definitely want to stay away from crowds but don't want to miss out on the beach and food. What are your thoughts on turtle bay? Is it too remote?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,930 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

Hanalei has one of the most beautiful beaches and surroundings. :)

S B
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

@22kauai do you recommend the Sheraton or st regis in Kauai?

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

I haven't stayed there but the one thing I keep hearing about Turtle Bay is that the resort food is not only overpriced, as it is in all resorts, but it's not so good either. And you have to drive to get to anything else. So it doesn't sound like TB fits your needs.

Poipu on Kauai sounds much better. Or how about Maui? Waikiki is the only place in Hawai'i that is really busy and crowded. Look at some beach webcams for the different resorts and you'll see. As msfuzz says, pick your island first, you can find a resort after that.

If you really just want to veg out at a resort, though, why not an AI in Mexico or Caribbean? Hawai'i has so much to do and see. Of course, just relaxing on island time is wonderful too.

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Kauai or turtle bay resort in Oahu?

Hanalei Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d64…

We split our stay between Hanalei and Poipu Beach. I'd stay at Sheraton over the St. Regis. The Sheraton is on a wonderful swimming beach and close to many good restaurants. We've enjoyed dinner at St. Regis, but have never stayed there. I prefer being able to walk out to a great beach.