We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel beach for swimming

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best hotel beach for swimming

will be traveling to kauai 3/22-3/29. Just read Fodor's who wrote that the hotel I booked is not on a good beach for swimming. We would like to be able to jump in the ocean from a sandy beach right at our hotel without a lot of rocks. We do enjoy the waves but don't surf. Would also like to stay where we can walk to shops, restaurants etc... 1 adult and 1 teen will be traveling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Wouls like to book something fast. Flexible on $$$$.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

What did you book??

The Koa Kea is a few steps away from a great beach and Poipu Beach Park. Sheraton has a nice beach but the hotel is not interesting. Both are good in terms of walking to shops and restos. Both are in Poipu/South Shore.

California
Level Contributor
37,956 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

Sheraton for sure but rent an oceanfront room. Koa Kea comes in second but I would recommend it for a teen. Its a hotel for honeymooners.

Did you book Hyatt? If so I wouldn't switch. It has an awesome pool and lagoon area and you are a short drive to Poipu Beach. You can stick you toes in and bob around but its rough and has a big drop off which is why its not a good swimming beach. Your teen will love this hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

The hotel I booked was the Sheraton but Fodor's say's the beach in not good for swimming. I was suprised - I thought is was on poipu beach. We will not have a car everyday for travel. Any thoughts. Thanks for your time.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

You really need a car on Kauai .. . why not one every day?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

The Marriott on Kalapaki Beach has everything you're looking for, but I don't know if you'd want to stay there.

California
Level Contributor
37,956 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

I doubt Fodors said that. Sheraton is the best option for beach and walking to shops.

So why not a car the entire time? You know you need to rent the car at the airport, right?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

I can't imagine why Fodor's would have said either. The Sheraton is the best option in a very limited pool of hotels right on a swimming beach. It's a wonderful swimming beach. It would be my number 1 recommendation. Great central location for walking to things. It's a fine resort in a low-keyed tropical style. Doesn't have the opulent feel that the Hyatt does but it's still quite nice. The key is the beach which is the main reason people choose it so I don't get why Fodor's would have said that. Are you sure Fodor wasn't saying that about the Hyatt? That is true for the Hyatt.

The other best option is the Marriott Kauai Beach Resort on Kalapaki Beach in Lihue. Koa Kea? I wouldn't recommend it. The rooms are small and the place is geared towards couples, not families and in your case you have a teenager with. It would be a squeeze in those rooms with a teenager with. Now this is a place I'd call uninteresting. A smaller and compact property that is a simple U-shape building with a courtyard and smaller pool in the center. Honeymooners and couples love it ,. It's at the opposite end of the beach that the Sheraton is on.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 17:50
8. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 17:53
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

On the car..... Without one you'd be able to walk to some restaurants in Poipu but what will you see of the island beyond that? I can't imagine coming to Kauai without a car. You'd be missing the best of the island. If the idea is to save money you're defeating that purpose. To rent a car only some days you'd miss out on weekly rates. Also, the cab ride from and to the airport is close to what you'd pay for a small compact for a week.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 17:56
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,314 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best hotel beach for swimming

I've never found Fodor's to be much help in planning. And I'll add my voice to the crowd - rent a car for the whole time.