We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Kauai

Boise, Idaho
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Kauai

My husband, 8 year old daughter, and I are headed to Kauai for the first time in May for 6 nights. We are trying to decide the most worthwhile things to do, and would appreciate your advice!

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Kauai

First of all buy a guidebook. Kauai is about exploring. Hiking, kayaking, boating to see the Napali coastline, snorkeling. To the right are top questions. Maybe check out those links. May is a wonderful time to be on the island and you can enjoy the entire island. The North Shore ocean calms down that month and is just a beautiful spot. Poipu is terrific for families. The Hyatt hotel in Poipu is an 8 year olds dream hotel.

I recommend taking a boat trip out of the North Shore like Napali Catamaran or Holo Holo.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Kauai

Where are you staying? That helps.

Let's see - I like the Kauai Revealed guidebook - mostly for the good maps. Kauai Underground is good as well.

I brought my daughters when my youngest was about 6 . . .and to tell you the truth, we kept it very unstructured - didn't plan too much and I think that is the joy of Hawaii - don't plan too much, just let it all soak in. They most enjoyed Smith's luau - we also watched one of the free hula shows - you could attend the one at the Hyatt - very nice, though I am not sure what evening it is. Eating shave ice island wide was fun and just chilling on the beach. We had over 2 weeks to enjoy Kauai, so you will be amazed how quick your 6 days slip away. Have fun! :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Kauai

Beaches, beaches and beaches!!! You will be surrounded by gorgeous fun beaches and if we had been fortunate enough to bring our adult kids to Hawaii, the beaches and free, fun, family time would have been our focus! That's the lifelong Alaskan in me speaking but I see Idaho as your location so you might really enjoy the beaches too! Bring your cooler packed full of yummy lunch treats and sunscreen, umbrella and play toys. Simple fun!

I agree to keep it loose so you can adjust for the weather. Kauai is an amazing, beautiful island and easy and fun to navigate. Enjoy your vacation! Deb

Boise, Idaho
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Kauai

Thanks for the great advice! People are so nice to take time out of their days to help a stranger :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Kauai

ah . . . I never get tired of sharing about Kauai . . . get ready to fall in love!! :)

6. Re: First trip to Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:19