We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

Good morning, Everyone...

I posted this buried in another topic ("What's in the sand") but that inspired me to originate this post in the hopes of finding some help... No other avenue of inquiry has produced any results...

In July 2012, we purchased a rather expensive Ni'ihau shell lei from Hana Hou Jewels at Spouting Horn. The type of shells, "moi one", are apparently quite rare. It was a stunning necklace. (Notice the use of the past tense.)

This year when we arrived on island and I unpacked it from it's little padded home, all I had was a collection of very expensive shells as the shells had ripped through the thread (literally thread).

The necklace had been created by Keala Niheu who I understand is a noted artist.

I've tried numerous sources to find someone to restring the lei. I even wrote the company who issued the Certificate of Authenticity (Hana Hou Jewels) - no luck (no response). Even a source suggested by Janet ("koloagirl") has produced no results.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! I can provide a photo of the necklace if anyone is interested. And if anyone can tell me how to post the photo here, I'll certainly do that.

Mahalo...

bARB

Edited: 03 February 2014, 14:38
California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

tripadvisor.com/…53737041 Janet has the information you need on this post.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

22kauai...

Thanks SO much! The necklace was costly because of the rarity of the shells but the damage breaks my heart for many more reasons than the $$$!

Janet had referred me to someone else but they had not responded. This gentleman sounds like exactly what I need so thank you so very very much!

BARB

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

You bought the necklace is 2012 and it has already unstrung? That is terrible!!!

Did you go back to Spouting Horn and tell the lady whom you bought it from? She should have helped you. That's one reason I didn't buy mine there. I don't trust that place!

When you return to Kauai, I hope you get it fixed.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

The shells are not the traditional Ni'ihau shells you usually see. It is a graduated strand where the largest is almost 1 inch. They are apparently a very rare shell, "moi one" which means "under the sand".

The necklace was threaded on simple sewing thread which is traditional but in this case, the edges of the shells were defined enough because of the size of the shells that they "ate" through the thread.

It wasn't until we got to Kauai and I went to wear the lei that I pulled out about 3 inches of strung shells attached by the clasp - the rest were in ruin.

I went to Spouting Horn but some of the vendors were no longer there as they had left when they renegotiated their contracts and pretty much all of them were in different places. (I remembered the approx location of the booth. I even remembered the spot in the booth where it had been - way in the back with the "good" stuff!) I spoke to a number of the ladies but none of them remembered the necklace. Even though it was pretty much one of a kind, none of them recalled it.

They suggested that I have someone at home fax over the Certificate of Authenticity but I had moved that document and my neighbor was unable to find it.

i do trust the Spouting Horn vendors and have bought some wonderful and unique pieces there. However, no one remembered the necklace.

At the time, I didn't have the name of the person who sold it to me - Jeanne Jackson representing Hana Hou Jewels which lists a P.O. Box in Lawai. I've written them to no avail (nor has the letter been returned). There is no phone listed for them.

If anyone can help me contact them, it would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to try the suggestion above.

BARB

Edited: 03 February 2014, 16:02
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

THANK YOU!!!

I've been in contact with Kele Kanahele and he will be repairing my necklace.

I'm mailing him the shells to his home on the Big Island and then he will carry it to his family on Kauai for me to pick up in July!

I cannot thank you enough, 22kauai, for the contact. The necklace means the world to me!

BARBARA

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

You are trusting of the postal service. You can't bring them over in July and give them to someone then? I would not want something like that floating around the mail service. It just took 4 weeks for my daughter to get a letter I mailed the beginning of January. I am glad you found someone to repair them though.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

Certified, insured and return receipt requested.

And starting early, he will be able to repair it from his home on the Big Island then bring it to his family on Kauai on his next visit. I'll be picking it up from them in July ready to go!

Thanks for the caution but I'm comfortable with it all.

BARB

8. Re: Ni'ihau shell necklace repair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:19