We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Kauai visit

Evergreen, CO
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on Kauai visit

My husband and I were married on Kauai, but will be travelling there with our 7 year old this summer. It is quite the different trip with a kid!

Question #1: Is there a boat ride that is less than 5 hours?? There is no way my son is going to last through a 5 hour boat ride (and he's a little young to snorkel in the open ocean). We did the half-submarine boat ride in Maui 2 years ago and he loved it, but I can't find anything kid-friendly in Kauai.

Question #2: We are most likely going to have a late flight back to the mainland. We are trying to decide whether to rent a cheap hotel for that last day so we can still go do something, but shower and relax before our long flights, or if our son needs a nap. Suggestions? I assume something in Lihue would be most convenient. I have to think the early checkout/late flight is a common problem as all the flights are at night.

Question #3: Other activities with a kid (other than the $150/pp luau) that you would recommend?

Question #4: Where to grocery shop? My hubby and son both have severe food allergies, so we need someplace with a good selection (soy milk, organic items, etc)?

Thanks for the help!

Sandra

Edited: 03 February 2014, 22:22
new york
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

I have taken my daughter on a Napali boat tour since she was 6 and she was fine she even snorkeled with my husband .

I recommend the luau at smiths show only . It's $7.50 for kids and $15.00 per adult . Well worth it . Hike to ho'opi falls would be fun or renting kayaks and going to secret falls would be fun too . There is also a zip line that he can go on with outfitters or atv ride .

You can buy an inexpensive boogie board at Walmart or Kmart and also just chill at the beach

new york
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Where are you staying ? It will be easier to recommend places to food shop

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Safeway has a pretty good selection, and there are some health-food stores around. Papayas, and Hoku in Kapa`a. Healthy Hut in Kilauea. There's one in Hanalei, but I can't remember the name. Something Harvest, maybe.

I would think 7 would enjoy the play structure at Lydgate Park.

Evergreen, CO
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Hanalei Bay Resort (Princeville) and we are using a week trade timeshare, so buying an extra night is not an option and historically when I've called a resort and asked about a late checkout or staying extra hours, they say 'not with a timeshare trade'.

new york
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Safeway has a really nice selection. They are located in kapaa . There is a foodland in princeville but its pricey and the selection is not as vast as the Safeway

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

You can rent a room at the resort. Many timeshare people do that. They can only rent a room if they have something open. Timeshare rooms can't get late check outs. Private rentals can.

Garden Island Inn is a good last day option.

Also if the timing is right, HBR will have a hospitality room you can hang around at. We are adding showers to the lower bathrooms and the hospitality room is geared just for folks like you. It should open in June.

Healthy Nut is Kilauea is a good option for shopping. Sweet Maries in Lihue has gluten free items if that is an issue.

Princeville Ranch Adventures has a day program for kids. There is a play structure at the mini golf course and also at the entrance to Princeville.

Mediterreanean Gourmet has a nice luau and I think they have a children's price. The fire dancer is a big hit with the little tykes.

California
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

My grandkids love the luau at Med. Gourmet and so do I! $35 for kids and $69 for adults. The food is very good, also. It's on Tuesday nights, and reservations are needed. www.kauaimedgourmet.com/entertainment.html

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Isn't check out at HBR 10AM... you could ask anyway about late checkout. Wouldn't hurt to find another room for cheap near the airport for that last day if your flight is later in the evening. You can also shop at the Foodland in Princeville.. with the discount, or for better prices the Big Save down in Hanalei no discount number required.

Of course the supermarkets on the east side have better rates and selection.

Definitely look into the boat trips from the northshore as they have less ground to cover to get to the Napali Coast.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 00:54
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

The health food store in Hanalei is very nice. My husband loves it! Papaya's in Kapa'a is also great. The Safeway in Kapa'a also carries a lot of organic products as well as soy milk (my husband and son actually drink almond milk since soy is GMO).

My kids LOVE the playground at Lydgate Park.

Outfitters in Poipu has a great zipline tour and they take the younger kids.

The Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena has a fabulous luau and we took our kids when they were 7 and 10. They really enjoyed it (especially the fire dancer!) Get there early to get a good seat.

The only shorter boat ride that I'm aware of is Captain Andy's Poipu Sunset tour which is about 2 hours. They leave out of the Kukui'ula Small Boat Harbor in Poipu. We took our kids on the 4 1/2 hour Captain Andy's Sunset Napali tour when they were 6 and 9 and they did fine but every kid is different. The crew really did a great job with my boys and my 80 year old mother.

If you cannot get something at HBR for your last day, The Garden Island Inn is very close to airport and a good value (we've never stayed here but the reviews are good). If you want to spend a little more OR have some Marriott points (we've used points for this), you could check out The Marriott in Lihue. Fabulous pool (but a little more Roman than Hawaiian) and also close to the airport.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
105 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions on Kauai visit

Totally understand the issue with a long boat ride with a 7 year old. We took our son to Waikiki when he was 8-he would have driven every other passenger nuts on a 5 hour boat ride. Take a look at Captain Andy's- they do offer an afternoon/sunset sail which is shorter in duration than the five hour trip. Don't know if kayaking is something that might interest your family but there are opportunities for that on Kauai. Good luck-taking a child does change a vacation to Hawaii-it makes it even richer! Enjoy.