We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

We are a family of five (husband and I, our 6 yr, 4 yr and almost-2 yr old) looking to visit Hawaii for the very first time. We'll likely have another family with us, and we've narrowed it down to spending 5 nights in Kauai, sometime this April. I came across an offer from Wyndham Resorts at Poipu beach, that seems like a decent price - about $1800 for 5 nights, being split within two families. It looks like a good deal, but I would love to hear your opinion on whether we're likely to find a better price if we looked for a more independent, non-resort experience.

I also had a couple of other questions, both related to weather that time of the year. I realize April is still considered rainy season, so is the location of Poipu beach an appropriate one, considering the differential rainfall patterns on islands? Or would we be better advised to find lodging elsewhere on the island? Also, would we still be able to enjoy the beaches during April? We live in northern California, where the ocean water is always cold, so our beach experience is mostly limited to the sand and maybe dipping our toes in the icy water. We'd love to actually be able to get in the water on a beach sometime!

We are mostly nature people. What are some of the other things to do and places to see that we should look into? We are usually up for upto 3ish miles of moderate hiking or something equivalent.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and guidance.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

The Wyndham property is most like Koloa Landing which is very nice. For that price you might have a green fence staring at you, but for a family its a good choice.Is this price for a 2 bedroom? Will it hold as many as you plan on having? Lodging in Poipu would work out great. For families is wonderful. Lots of good beach choices and restaurants for all ages.

I would suggest buying a guidebook and looking over the top questions to the right of your post. There are good sections on hiking and things to do for families.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

Thank you for the prompt and helpful response! Yes, it is for Koloa landing. We don't mind if our view is not great, because we don't want to spend too much time indoors during the day and the price point being lower is a major factor. The price is for a 3 bedroom, for 8 people. The other family we're traveling with has a couple and one child, so it should work out perfectly for us. I'll start reading up on the top questions - thank you for that tip!

Edited: 04 February 2014, 18:09
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

Koloa Landing is posh and lovely, and Po`ipu is a good place to be in April. You'll likely even get some nice days on the north shore, but April is a transition month, so you never know. You might want to pick up a copy of "Ultimate Kaua`i Revealed" for its maps and ideas of things to do. Do check your list with us, though. Some of UKR's recommendations are considered iffy at best.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

$1800 for 5 nights in a 3 bedrooms is a good price, I think. You will also have hefty resort fees, but overall I like this option. Its a beautiful condo, inside.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

Do check out post/threads from blueflamingo, as she has traveled several times to Kauai with small children and offers some great advice. :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

Aw, shucks, coalminer...Yes, i've blogged about our last two trips with little kids at http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com

I love the look of Koloa Landing, but you'll probably have to load everyone in the car to get to the beach - it seems like a long walk with littles (and all their gear). We love the keiki lagoon at Poipu beach - it has a little playground nearby, is close to the bathrooms and a picnic pavilion and you can run across the street to Brennecke's deli for snacks.

I drool over the pictures of the units' laundry rooms every time wander over to the KL website...

April is a great time to go - we've been three times around the end of the month. Fewer tourists since school is still in session and not so hot.

Kauai Underground is a guidebook specifically geared to families (ie., it doesn't mention some of the iffier suggestions the UKG promotes). There are good hikes for families in Waimea Canyon/Koke'e State Park (so I've heard, we couldn't tear ourselves away from the Hyatt lagoon on our last trip to go and do anything else!) hawaiistateparks.org/parks/brochure_pdfs/hsp…

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

Most people have drive to a beach, so for me its a non issue.

8. Re: Weather and lodging questions (5 nights in Kauai in April)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 07:18