We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo

Sicily, Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling solo

I'm taking my first trip to Hawaii next week. I'll be with a girlfriend for a couple of days, but I'll be solo for about 7 days in Kauai. I've traveled enough to know the basics of single girl travel.

I can't really tell from my internet research where are good spots to hike without a buddy. I'm fit and have proper shoes. About 4 years ago I broke my leg and ankle and while I've made a full recovery, I'm more cautious about terrain these days.

An unrelated question: where's a good place to get dinner/drinks alone?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling solo

What part of the island are you staying on? You will have a rental car, right?

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling solo

Did you check out the hiking links to the right? Where are you staying?

Sicily, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling solo

Yes, I'll have a car. I'll be staying in Kilauea.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling solo

One of my favorite places in Kilauea is the Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza. Yum! You are also not too far away to Hanalei, and there are lots of choices of places to eat. Any particular food you enjoy? Unless it was a super fancy/romantic place, I would feel comfortable going solo almost anywhere in Kauai. :)

California
Level Contributor
36,418 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling solo

The downstairs bar at Dukes is fine for a solo traveler. So is the bar at BarAcuda in Hanalei and also Tahiti Nui in Hanalei. You will see lots of solo travelers. Also go to Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea. The bartender there is very nice and the food is good. You'll meet locals. Other options are CJ's, Tiki Iniki and Tavern in Princeville.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling solo

Another good place in Kilauea is the Kilauea Fish Market, which is in the back of the big stone building on Kilauea Road. And I understand that Opakapaka Food Truck is now providing food for the Kilauea Community Market, which is near the Lighthouse Bistro.

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling solo

Darn, you guys are too fast. Yes, the Opakapaka Food Truck is connected with Kilauea Town Market and Deli. http://kilaueatownmarket.com/

Sicily, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling solo

Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions very much!

Any ideas about where to hike? Is the Kalalau trail (just the part to and from the waterfall) a good idea? I wouldn't go if it had been raining.

9. Re: Traveling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:20