We are planning a trip in February starting in Big Island (x3 full days) followed by Kauai (x 4 full days). We like great beaches but aren't much for tanning / laying on the beach and would be more interested in activities (hiking, sailing and kayaking) and soaking in the island culture / stunning views! We have hotels in Kona and Kapaa already and a rental car booked on both islands. Ideally we would not be splitting our trip between the two, but any suggestions on activities / itinerary / restaurant tips would be greatly appreciated! Would we have to book activities in advance or do so on the island itself? We wish we had more time! Thanks in advance!
Big Island (home base = KONA)
- Volcano National Park (sunrise or sunset?) (hiking vs. helicopter?)
- manta ray night snorkel (any boat service recs?)
- maunea kea stargazing (if time available)
Kauai (home base = KAPAA)
- 1 day for Waimea Canyon / Kokee State Park - morning hike to Pihea trail
- 1 day for Poipu Beach state park / Spouting Horn / Wailua Falls and Opaekaa falls
- sunset at the bar at the St. Regis Hotel
- helicopter ride (any recs on which company to go with? do we book in advance?)
- kayaking along Napali coast?