We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

WA
Level Contributor
294 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

We will be on island for two weeks and we were wondering if anyone could give us fair estimate on how much you think it will cost us for fuel? How much does it cost to fill up? We have a Hyundai at home which is very economical so I'm trying to prepare for sticker shock.

We are staying on the East side and plan trips to both the canyon and north shore, probably a couple trips to Anini. I know this is a little hard to guess. I'm thinking we may need to fill up 3-4 times but have no clue. We have to bring the vehicle back full to the rental agency.

The other option is a minivan - which would you prefer? We want to try to go to Polihale but only if we have good conditions.

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Mahalo!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Did the newer Ford Escapes add an extra seat somewhere? I have one and I only have 5 seat belts. When I have 3 adults in the back, it is a very tight squeeze & not comfortable at all for more than a short 10 minute ride.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

The numbers you need to do the math are:

current gas prices $4.40 gas stations/$4.07 Costco

tank size 15.1 gallons

miles per gallon approx 25/gal (listed as 22 city/31 hwy)

technically, you can't take the rentals off-roading or you are in violation of your contract whether or not its 4WD

WA
Level Contributor
294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Correction it is a Ford Explorer -sorry :) and thank you for pointing that out.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

You receive the vehicle "Full" so returning it Full is kinda a wash....

I was about to pipe in with my recent Ford Escape rental and the gas mileage etc we received on a that trip. Clearly, a Ford Explorer will drink more fuel....alot. It is a full size all wheel drive vehicle. A miniVan is 2 WD and would be more fuel efficient, by far. Are the rental rates the same?

However, if that is the size vehicle you require...it is what it is. If you fill up at Costco, you save roughly 15-20 cents per gallon.

The Island is not all that large....not like driving the Big Island. Fuel costs are just all part of the trip IMO. Beats the king's ransom you would pay for Taxis....

California
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Explorer isn't full size, an Expedition is. Being a family of 5 we've been in the same boat as you, a van is easier but an Explorer is funner to drive. I would take an Explorer any day and not worry about the extra couple of bucks. After all, Kauai is a small island and you can only drive around so much.

Depending on how many people are in your party, make sure any vehicle can fit all your luggage. Very common mistake for lots of people.

WA
Level Contributor
294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Thanks for the input. The minivan is about 75-100 cheaper but thought it might be nice to have a better view for everyone in the vehicle-4 adults and 2 teenagers.

We plan on packing very light. Does anyone know how much room there is behind the last row of seats?

Our friends drive a van at home so it might be nice to be in something different for vacation.

Right now for dates in May we are at 880.00 for two weeks. Seems insanely high. I usually play the car rental game about a month prior and I'm hopeful rates will go down.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Go to a dealership in your home town and check out the various vehicles for seating, storage etc. You would be the best one to judge if it will fit your needs.

Do remember that a vehicle in the category is all that is guaranteed....not specific model.

If you are renting from Alamo or National, they will allow you to select the specific vehicle.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 21:48
California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Since you are staying on the east side you will be driving a lot because you will want to get out of Kapaa. Figure filling up twice a week at least. Try and fill up away from touristy areas or better yet fill up at Costco if you are a member.

You have 4 adults and 2 teens? Get as big as you can. If you get an SUV that carries 6, there is zero room in the "trunk". At least with a mini van you can pile the luggage between the seats.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Might it be better to rent two sedans? No matter how close you all are, 6 people are not all going to want to do the same thing at the same time.

3Chihuahuas

Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Estimated Gas Expenses for Ford Escape SUV 6 passenger

Here is some info off the Budget website. It provides Mpg ratings, capacity seating etc. Hope it helps

budget.com/budgetWeb/…highoccupancy.html