We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions in Hanalei?

Boston
Level Contributor
272 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions in Hanalei?

Hello I was told I need to check out Hanalei bay. I was just wondering how the surf was and if it is swimable?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

Today or at some other time? There are webcams and surf reports you can check on line or they give the surf reports on the radio. I would think there would be brown water today and you should stay out.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 18:21
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

Cannot help with hanalei, but others may be interested in the Lihue and the South Shore.

Cooler temps, passing rain, overcast, cannot see Mt. Ha'upu a little over a mile away due to thick low clouds and fog. Calm wind. The cars parked here at Banyan Harbor are usually out of their parking stalls and on the wey to discover Kauai. Not one has left. Every stall is occupied with visitor and residents vehicles.

We live here and understand that it is winter time, and are not even close to the horrendous weather whacking much of the mainland with strong rains, snow, ice, sleet, and winds. But, we are also going a bit impatient with the grey and gloom and sometimes wet......we also want some sunshine....but we also know we cannot do anything about the situation.....but if the sun does come out, we will be out...probably just hike next to home here, since the nature trails up in the hills and mountain will likely be muddy and slippery.

Hopefully, our forcast trade winds will start up in a few hours and clear this stuff out.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 19:01
Boston
Level Contributor
272 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

Yes it looks pretty cloudy and rainy in Kapaa so we headed south to Poipu and it's beautiful here! We may stay here have lunch and try to head up north later if the weather improves. I'm keeping an eye on the forecast. : )

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

seehawaiilive.com/kauai/princeville-resorts

Looks cloudy but not rainy on the North Shore, but you can see people enjoying the beach.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

3pm, the sun is out a bit here in lihue, and it has warmed up, Erica is off hiking kauai lagoons. If these clouds are gone tomorrow I am going to wash the car at SUDZ......the new car wash north of costco. Looks like the sun is out over in poipu, Ha'upu mountain is mostly clear now, except for light clouds grazing the top. Hopefully it will be a continual clearing and improvement.

Boston
Level Contributor
272 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

I ended up going to the north Shore and Hanalei Bay after all. I'm so glad I did!! I only had two days on Kauai and had spent most of the time on the south side. I drove all the way up to Waimea Canyon the first day and saw nothing but a big fog... : ( I wasn't too impressed from what I saw of the south side the first day since the weather wasn't great. The next day we went to Poipu since the weather was good there and really enjoyed the beach! It was rainy everywhere else but I kept an eye on the forecast since I heard so much about the north shore and really wanted to go. So happy I did!! The north shore was absolutely amazing!! We drove all the way to the Kalalau trail and stopped at a few beaches and the light house. It was breath taking!!

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

I am so happy you took the chance to experience the beauty of the North Shore. People are so scared to go up there in the winter because they think it is non stop rain, but it isn't. There are micro climates all over. You can have sun at Anini, rain at Kilauea and sun again in Haena. You get cheated out of really seeing Kauai unless you experience a day on the North Shore.

8. Re: Conditions in Hanalei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20